Inertia in motion - why is momentum called this

In summary, momentum is not technically referred to as "inertia in motion" and this terminology is not widely accepted. The term "inertia" itself can be used to describe the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. However, the term "momentum" specifically refers to the quantity of motion an object has, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. This term is not interchangeable and should not be used as a substitute for "momentum." Additionally, all forces in nature are considered to be conservative, meaning they are capable of conserving energy and are not dissipative. Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, electromagnetism, and nuclear forces.
Kaxa2000
Inertia in motion - why is momentum referred to as this?

Also, what forces in nature are conservative does anyone know any examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaxa2000 said:
Referred as what?
Kaxa2000 said:
Also, what forces in nature are conservative does anyone know any examples?
All of them.

Why's it referred to as "inertia in motion"

Kaxa2000 said:
Why's it referred to as "inertia in motion"

Where did you read that?
The Linear momentum of a particle is defined as p=mv. It is a quantity that remains constant with respect to an inertial reference frame, if no forces act on the particle.

It's also called inertia in motion

Kaxa2000 said:
It's also called inertia in motion

I have never read or heard this anywhere. The only reason I see for somebody using this, is because mass is sometimes called a measure of inertia.If a mass is in motion it has momentum. I think it is an ambiguous and useless way to describe momentum. You should try to understand the usual definition.

I've heard of momentum being referred to, metaphorically, as "inertia in motion". I don't think it's accurate, even as a lie-to-children, because it doesn't represent how hard it is to move the object.

ideasrule said:
I've heard of momentum being referred to, metaphorically, as "inertia in motion". I don't think it's accurate, even as a lie-to-children, because it doesn't represent how hard it is to move the object.

This sounds like an old usage. Where did you read it?

Inertia in motion alright. Inertia in what else? I have once read that "inertia" literally means laziness. Maybe this has got something to do with it.
Inertia would also be a fantastic name for a female. Wonder why no one has chosen it yet. :D

(a) somebody decided to call it that,
(b) somebody did not like momentum,
(c) somebody is pulling your leg. (fooling you)

Let's call it "floogum" from now on...

if you look at angular momentum

angular momentum = moment of inertia x angular velocity

where moment of inertia is the distribution of mass

Kaxa2000 said:

It isn't! :smile:

(Unless you can produce a quote …)

Related to Inertia in motion - why is momentum called this

1. What is inertia in motion?

Inertia in motion is the tendency of an object to continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, or to remain at rest, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia in motion relate to momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's inertia in motion. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is a representation of how difficult it is to stop an object's motion.

3. Why is momentum called inertia in motion?

Momentum is called inertia in motion because it is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion, which is what inertia refers to.

4. What are the factors that affect an object's momentum?

An object's momentum is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater an object's mass and/or velocity, the greater its momentum will be.

5. How is the conservation of momentum related to inertia in motion?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This is because of the principle of inertia in motion, which states that objects will continue moving at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.