Inertia of a man driving a car

In summary, the man was running or walking (in linear motion), while holding on to a long thread tied to a helium balloon. The effect of his sudden acceleration or retardation on the baloon would be the same as was in the case when the baloon was inside the car.
vikasj007
a man was driving a car, with him was his friend inside the car along with a box full of godies, and a helium fill baloon.

suddenly he stops the car.

now you have to tell, what will be the effect of this breaking (negitive acceleration) on all the four bodies( both men, box of goodies and the helium filled baloon.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm,
Gets a car , a friend , a box of goodies and a helium balloon. Puts them all in the car and drives. After sometime realizes, that he can't drive. Desparately attempts to brake but no luck and crashes. So the effect of braking on me and my partner was that we were in the hospital , the box of goodies i learned were taken as goodwil gift by the inspecting policeman and the balloon well i offerred it to the good looking nurse.

-- AI
::
But in your example,
the two men move forward (inertia),
the box of goodies , well i ate them
and the helium balloon moves backward (inertia) .
::

Answer:
Newton’s first law would apply to all four bodies. However, the balloon would float towards the back of the car because the air around it will rush towards the front.

TenaliRaman said:
Hmm,
Gets a car , a friend , a box of goodies and a helium balloon. Puts them all in the car and drives.

I suspect your troubles resulted from trying to put a car inside a car. :wink:

::The helium balloon moves in the same direction as the center of mass of the air inside the box of goodies. ::

The driver not wishing to consult Newton's first, and putting shades on all the car windows, discovers that according to GR use of the 'brake' has created a new gravity source directly in front. All the objects react to the additional gravitational force in front of them exactly as they have been reacting to the one still below them. Including the helium balloon that seems to be repelled from the ground below.

Gokul43201 said:
I suspect your troubles resulted from trying to put a car inside a car. :wink:

Hehe, i never realized that! So were they really brakes i was trying to apply there :eek:

-- AI

The helium balloon will tend towards the rear of the car during the braking. All of the the others will tend to the forward direction until restraining forces bring them to a stop.

does this mean that i was the only one in this whole world who took a week to get to the answer to this question.

obviously, everybody else seems to know the answer immidiately.

today on my way to college, i saw a boy walking with a helium baloon in his hand.

so what if i change the situation in this case. suppose a man is running or walking(in linear motion), while holding on to a long thread tied to a helium baloon. what will be the effect of his sudden acceleration or retardation on the baloon. will it still be the same as was in the case when the baloon was inside the car??

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object, meaning the more massive an object is, the greater its inertia.

2. How does inertia affect a man driving a car?

When a man is driving a car, his body has inertia that keeps it in motion. Inertia also causes the man's body to resist changes in motion, such as sudden turns or stops. This is why wearing a seatbelt is important, as it helps to prevent the body from continuing to move forward in the event of a sudden stop.

3. Is inertia only present in moving objects?

No, inertia is present in all objects, whether they are moving or at rest. Even a stationary car has inertia, which is why it takes more force to move a heavy car than a lighter one.

4. How does the speed of the car affect the inertia of the man driving?

The speed of the car does not directly affect the man's inertia. However, the faster the car is moving, the greater the amount of force needed to change its direction or stop it. This also applies to the man's body, as it will have more inertia to resist changes in motion at higher speeds.

5. Can the inertia of the man driving a car be increased or decreased?

The inertia of the man driving a car can be increased by adding weight or decreasing the speed of the car. Conversely, it can be decreased by reducing weight or increasing the speed of the car. However, inertia is ultimately determined by the mass of the object and cannot be changed without altering its mass.