1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia tensor

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    I need to find the inertia tensor for a uniform thin hollow cone,spinning about its ponted end.

When the cone is solid then everything goes very smoothly by using cylindrical polar coordinates. But how should I find if it is a hollow cone. To be able to write the density of the cone I have to use the area of the cone and when I want to find ( Izz ) I need to write the dm=density.dv but how am I going to write the dA in cylindrical polar coordinates . If I could find the Izz then I could jump into finding of Iyy and Ixx and the products of inertia must be 0 because of the symmetry.

please help
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can easily find the result for a spinning ring of a certain radius. Try breaking the hollow cone up into a series of rings and integrating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?