Calculating Inertia Tensor of Hollow Cone

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the inertia tensor for a uniform thin hollow cone spinning about its pointed end. The speaker mentions using cylindrical polar coordinates and integrating the cone as a series of rings to find the result. The products of inertia are expected to be 0 due to the cone's symmetry.
esradw
I need to find the inertia tensor for a uniform thin hollow cone,spinning about its ponted end.

When the cone is solid then everything goes very smoothly by using cylindrical polar coordinates. But how should I find if it is a hollow cone. To be able to write the density of the cone I have to use the area of the cone and when I want to find ( Izz ) I need to write the dm=density.dv but how am I going to write the dA in cylindrical polar coordinates . If I could find the Izz then I could jump into finding of Iyy and Ixx and the products of inertia must be 0 because of the symmetry.

please help
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily find the result for a spinning ring of a certain radius. Try breaking the hollow cone up into a series of rings and integrating.

1. How is the inertia tensor of a hollow cone calculated?

The inertia tensor of a hollow cone is calculated by using the formula I = (1/3)MR^2, where I is the inertia tensor, M is the mass of the cone, and R is the radius of the base of the cone.

2. What is the significance of calculating the inertia tensor of a hollow cone?

The inertia tensor of a hollow cone helps determine the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, which is important in understanding the rotational motion and stability of the cone.

3. Can the inertia tensor of a hollow cone be negative?

No, the inertia tensor of a hollow cone cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion and must always be positive.

4. How does the shape of a hollow cone affect its inertia tensor?

The shape of a hollow cone affects its inertia tensor by changing the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. A wider base will result in a larger inertia tensor, while a narrower base will result in a smaller inertia tensor.

5. Can the inertia tensor of a hollow cone change?

Yes, the inertia tensor of a hollow cone can change if there is a change in the mass or dimensions of the cone. It can also change if the axis of rotation is altered.