Inertial Mass vs. Gravitational Mass

In summary, the question of why mass as a measure of inertia is equal to mass in terms of gravity in our universe has been a topic of interest for scientists for a while. This is because in classical mechanics, both inertia and gravitation are dependent on the "amount of matter" or mass. However, in general relativity, this may not be the case for fast moving objects. The real question is why the inertial and gravitational effects of mass are proportional, and a violation of this equivalence principle would result in a violation of fundamental laws of motion.
runningninja
An interesting idea that my physics teacher posed to us yesterday, and apparently one that scientists have been puzzling over for quite a while: why is the mass as a measure of inertia equal to the mass in terms of gravity in our universe? My teacher said that this doesn't need to be the case, but it just so happens to be. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
runningninja said:
An interesting idea that my physics teacher posed to us yesterday, and apparently one that scientists have been puzzling over for quite a while: why is the mass as a measure of inertia equal to the mass in terms of gravity in our universe? My teacher said that this doesn't need to be the case, but it just so happens to be. Why?
To me that always sounded (and still does) somewhat as misunderstanding. In classical mechanics it was found that both inertia and gravitation depend on "amount of matter" as measured with a balance (read Newton); by next finding equations for these effects, by definition there was only one kind of "mass". I can't find a logical reason for wonder about that simple fact.

The real question, I think, is why the inertial effect of mass is proportional to its gravitational effects (there are two); but if I correctly understand it, this is not the case in GR for fast moving objects (and if I'm mistaken, I'll be happy to hear a detailed correction!).

Last edited:
runningninja said:

I've heard statements similar to the one from your teacher. However, according to everything I've read, a violation of the equivalence principle, as it relates to active gravitational mass, would result in a violation of Newton's third law of motion and the conservation of momentum.

This wikipedia section shows the classical reasoning as to why the three different types of mass must be proportionally equivalent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle#Active.2C_passive.2C_and_inertial_masses

What is the difference between inertial mass and gravitational mass?

Inertial mass refers to an object's resistance to changes in motion, while gravitational mass refers to the strength of the gravitational force exerted on an object.

Do inertial mass and gravitational mass have the same value?

According to the principle of equivalence in Einstein's theory of general relativity, inertial mass and gravitational mass are equivalent and have the same value.

How are inertial mass and gravitational mass measured?

Inertial mass is typically measured by applying a known force to an object and measuring its resulting acceleration. Gravitational mass is measured by comparing the gravitational force between two objects of known masses.

What is the significance of the relationship between inertial mass and gravitational mass?

The equivalence of inertial mass and gravitational mass is a fundamental principle in physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of gravity and the behavior of objects in the universe.

Are there any exceptions to the equivalence of inertial mass and gravitational mass?

Some theories, such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND), propose that there may be slight differences between inertial and gravitational mass in certain extreme conditions, but this is still a topic of debate and has not been conclusively proven.