Inferring the Principal Quantum Number from a Given Wave Function

You have to apply the "raising" operator to the equation (which is a polynomial in r), and find when it is zero. In summary, the conversation discusses the question of inferring the principal quantum number from a given wave function of the hydrogen atom. The method of using energy eigenvalues to determine the quantum number is discussed, as well as a more efficient method involving the radial wave equation and finding the zero-crossing point. The conversation ends with a suggestion to apply the "raising" operator to the equation and find when it is zero to determine the quantum number.
Useong
Hi, I am new here. I am a graduate student of department of physics at some university in Korea. If there is any wrong in my english, I will apologize in advance. I am preparing for my qualifying exam that is going to be held on next month.

Homework Statement

The question is very simple as I stated in the title. "Can you infer the principal quantum number from a given wave function of the hydrogen atom?" Not by memorizing but by logical deduction. I think no one can memorize all of the wave functions of the hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

For example, you are given this wave function [tex]\psi _{nlm} = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {4\pi } }}\left( {\frac{1}{{2a}}} \right)^{3/2} \left( {2 - \frac{r}{a}} \right)e^{ - r/2a} [/tex]
where[tex]a = \frac{\hbar }{{me^2 }}[/tex]. Of cource, you may know the Hamiltonian that is composed of the kinetic term and the Coulomb potential.
[tex] H = - \frac{{\hbar ^2 }}{{2m}}\nabla ^2 - \frac{{e^2 }}{r} [/tex]
The principal quantum number of above wave equation is 2. But how would you infer it?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this method. I know the energy eigenvalue is given by
[tex]E_n = - \frac{{e^2 }}{{2a}}\frac{1}{{n^2 }}[/tex]

So, when I carried out the integration to find the energy eigenvalue, I could obtain

[tex]E_n = \iiint {d^3 r\psi _{nlm}^ * \hat H\psi _{nlm} } = - \frac{{e^2 }}{{2a}}\frac{1}{{\left( 2 \right)^2 }}[/tex]
and therefore I could conclude n=2. But the method took me so long time that it may fail me if I meet this problem in exam time. So if you know any better methods to solve this problem, please let me know. Please enlighten me. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The is one zero-crossing for the given function, at r=2a. So the principle quantum number is 2.

For n=1, there are no zeroes.
For n=2, there is 1 zero.
For n=3, there are 2 zeroes.
etc. etc

(At least, that's the case when L=M=0. It has been awhile since I had this, so nonzero L and M might or might not change the zero-crossing rule.)

Last edited:

Related to Inferring the Principal Quantum Number from a Given Wave Function

1. What is the principal quantum number?

The principal quantum number, represented by the symbol n, is a quantum number that describes the energy level of an electron in an atom. It determines the size and energy of an orbital, and can have any positive integer value.

2. How is the principal quantum number inferred from a given wave function?

The principal quantum number can be inferred from a given wave function by looking at the exponent of the radial part of the wave function. The exponent, which is equal to n-1, corresponds to the principal quantum number.

3. Can the principal quantum number have a fractional or negative value?

No, the principal quantum number can only have positive integer values. It is a discrete variable and cannot take on fractional or negative values.

4. How does the principal quantum number affect the energy of an electron?

The principal quantum number determines the energy of an electron in an atom. As the principal quantum number increases, the energy of the electron also increases. This is because higher energy levels are further away from the nucleus and have a higher potential energy.

5. What is the significance of the principal quantum number in atomic structure?

The principal quantum number plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of an atom. It determines the size, energy, and orbital shape of an electron, and is used to classify the different energy levels and sublevels in an atom. It also helps to explain the periodicity of elements in the periodic table.