1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite limit as X tends to infinity

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am required to express in [tex]\varepsilon - \delta[/tex] way what I'm suppose to prove in case [tex]lim_\below{(x \rightarrow \infty)} f(x) = \infty[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first, intuitively I thought that what this means is that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is bigger than any arbitrary number when [tex]x[/tex] is bigger than any arbitrary number. So I attempted to combine the [tex]\varepsilon - \delta[/tex] definitions of when [tex]x[/tex] tends to infinity and when limit [tex]f(x)[/tex] tends to infinity.

I came up with this:
    [tex]lim_\below{(x \rightarrow \infty)} f(x) = \infty[/tex] if for every [tex]M>0[/tex] there exists [tex]N>0[/tex] so that for every [tex]x>M[/tex], [tex]f(x)>N[/tex].

I am unsure of whether it's the correct definition. Anyone can verify that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi IdanH14! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε and an infinity: ∞ :wink:)
    Yes :smile:, except it's the other way round …

no matter how large N is, we can find an M above which f(x) > N. :wink:

(you get the same result if you use 1/f, 1/δ, and 1/ε)

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks! :)
    Let me summarize it to see if I got it. It should be
    For every N>0 there exists M>0, so that for every x>M, f(x)>N
    Right?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. Mar 30, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right! :biggrin:

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5
    I like you usage of icons. I think I'll adopt it. ;)

Now, I'm trying to solve an exercise in my math book with this principle. Despite the fact I already learned infinite limits arithmetics, I'm required to prove that [tex]lim_\below{x\rightarrow \infty}) x cos\frac{1}{x} = \infty[/tex] in this cumbersome way. So I think I have a solution, but again, my insecurities creep in. :devil:

So I noticed that the bigger x gets, the closer [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] gets to 1. If I'll choose [tex]M=N[/tex] then, unless they [tex]N=\infty[/tex] I'll get something that's smaller than N, because X is multiplied by something which is close to 1, but doesn't equal 1. But if [tex]M=2N[/tex] then problem eliminated. Almost. :bugeye:

Why almost? Because if [tex]\frac{1}{x}>1[/tex] then [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] is potentially getting farther from 1. So, what I was thinking was to say [tex]M=max(1,2N)[/tex] and then problem solved.

I hope I'm clear enough. Is this a valid proof? Did I find for every N>0 an M>0 that meet the requirements?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Mar 30, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct.

I can work out why you're then using M = 2N (because of course M = N doesn't quite work), but you haven't actually specified why M = 2N does work. :smile:

(for example, does it work for any N?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook