Infinite limit as X tends to infinity

And, more importantly, you haven't actually mentioned what you want to prove! :surprisedPresumably, you want to prove that …?In summary, the conversation is about expressing a mathematical concept in epsilon-delta notation. The concept in question is that the limit of a function, f(x), tends to infinity as x tends to infinity. The correct notation for this is "for every N>0 there exists M>0, so that for every x>M, f(x)>N." The conversation then moves on to applying this concept to a specific exercise, where the limit of x cos(1/x) is to be proven to be infinity as x tends to infinity. The participant suggests using M = 2N
IdanH14

Homework Statement

I am required to express in [tex]\varepsilon - \delta[/tex] way what I'm suppose to prove in case [tex]lim_\below{(x \rightarrow \infty)} f(x) = \infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

So first, intuitively I thought that what this means is that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is bigger than any arbitrary number when [tex]x[/tex] is bigger than any arbitrary number. So I attempted to combine the [tex]\varepsilon - \delta[/tex] definitions of when [tex]x[/tex] tends to infinity and when limit [tex]f(x)[/tex] tends to infinity.

I came up with this:
[tex]lim_\below{(x \rightarrow \infty)} f(x) = \infty[/tex] if for every [tex]M>0[/tex] there exists [tex]N>0[/tex] so that for every [tex]x>M[/tex], [tex]f(x)>N[/tex].

I am unsure of whether it's the correct definition. Anyone can verify that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi IdanH14! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε and an infinity: ∞ :wink:)
IdanH14 said:
[tex]lim_\below{(x \rightarrow \infty)} f(x) = \infty[/tex] if for every [tex]M>0[/tex] there exists [tex]N>0[/tex] so that for every [tex]x>M[/tex], [tex]f(x)>N[/tex].

Yes :smile:, except it's the other way round …

no matter how large N is, we can find an M above which f(x) > N. :wink:

(you get the same result if you use 1/f, 1/δ, and 1/ε)

Thanks! :)
Let me summarize it to see if I got it. It should be
For every N>0 there exists M>0, so that for every x>M, f(x)>N
Right?

Last edited:
IdanH14 said:
Thanks! :)
Let me summarize it to see if I got it. It should be
For every N>0 there exists M>0, so that for every x>M, f(x)>N
Right?

Right! :biggrin:

I like you usage of icons. I think I'll adopt it. ;)

Now, I'm trying to solve an exercise in my math book with this principle. Despite the fact I already learned infinite limits arithmetics, I'm required to prove that [tex]lim_\below{x\rightarrow \infty}) x cos\frac{1}{x} = \infty[/tex] in this cumbersome way. So I think I have a solution, but again, my insecurities creep in. :devil:

So I noticed that the bigger x gets, the closer [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] gets to 1. If I'll choose [tex]M=N[/tex] then, unless they [tex]N=\infty[/tex] I'll get something that's smaller than N, because X is multiplied by something which is close to 1, but doesn't equal 1. But if [tex]M=2N[/tex] then problem eliminated. Almost. :bugeye:

Why almost? Because if [tex]\frac{1}{x}>1[/tex] then [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] is potentially getting farther from 1. So, what I was thinking was to say [tex]M=max(1,2N)[/tex] and then problem solved.

I hope I'm clear enough. Is this a valid proof? Did I find for every N>0 an M>0 that meet the requirements?

Last edited:
IdanH14 said:
… So I noticed that the bigger x gets, the closer [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] gets to 1.

That's correct.

I can work out why you're then using M = 2N (because of course M = N doesn't quite work), but you haven't actually specified why M = 2N does work. :smile:

(for example, does it work for any N?)

1. What does the concept of "infinite limit as X tends to infinity" mean?

The concept of "infinite limit as X tends to infinity" refers to the behavior of a function as the independent variable, X, approaches infinity. It describes the value that the function approaches, or tends towards, as X gets larger and larger without bound.

2. How can I determine if a function has an infinite limit as X tends to infinity?

To determine if a function has an infinite limit as X tends to infinity, you can analyze the behavior of the function as X gets larger and larger. If the function approaches a specific value (either positive or negative infinity) as X increases without bound, then the function has an infinite limit.

3. Can a function have a finite limit as X tends to infinity?

Yes, a function can have a finite limit as X tends to infinity. This means that the function approaches a specific value as X gets larger and larger without bound. This value is not infinity, but a finite number.

4. How does the concept of "infinite limit as X tends to infinity" relate to asymptotes?

The concept of "infinite limit as X tends to infinity" is often used to describe the behavior of a function near an asymptote. An asymptote is a line that the function approaches but never touches. If a function has an infinite limit as X tends to infinity, it means that the function approaches the asymptote as X increases without bound.

5. What is the difference between an infinite limit and a limit that does not exist?

An infinite limit refers to the behavior of a function as X tends to infinity, whereas a limit that does not exist refers to the behavior of a function as X approaches a specific value. An infinite limit means that the function approaches a specific value as X gets larger and larger without bound, while a limit that does not exist means that the function does not approach a specific value as X gets closer and closer to a certain value.