How can we define a limit approaching negative infinity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a limit where the function approaches positive or negative infinity. The definition states that for the limit to be positive infinity, the function values can be made arbitrarily large around the limit point, and for the limit to be negative infinity, the function values can be made arbitrarily small around the limit point. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of cardinality and its relevance to limit values.
RubroCP
I have the following definition:
$$ \lim_{x\to p^+}f(x)=+\infty\iff \forall\,\,\varepsilon>0,\,\exists\,\,\delta>0,\,\,\text{with}\,\,p+\delta< b: p< x < p+\delta \implies f(x) > \varepsilon$$
From this, how can I get the definition of
$$\lim_{x\to p^-}=-\infty? $$

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition says: We can make the values of ##f(x)## arbitrary great around ##x=p^+.## or: There is always a neighborhood of ##p^+## in which the function values become at least as high as we want them to be.

Now, how does this transform to low instead of high?

Likes RubroCP
fresh_42 said:
The definition says: We can make the values of ##f(x)## arbitrary great around ##x=p^+.## or: There is always a neighborhood of ##p^+## in which the function values become at least as high as we want them to be.

Now, how does this transform to low instead of high?
Thanks, my friend. I will try here again.

RubroCP said:
I have the following definition:
$$ \lim_{x\to p^+}f(x)=+\infty\iff \forall\,\,\varepsilon>0,\,\exists\,\,\delta>0,\,\,\text{with}\,\,p+\delta< b: p< x < p+\delta \implies f(x) > \varepsilon$$
From this, how can I get the definition of
$$\lim_{x\to p^-}=-\infty? $$
The usual definitions don't use ##\epsilon## for this type of limit, but instead use M or some other letter. ##\epsilon## is typically some small number, relatively close to zero.

The definition you have usually goes like this:
$$ \lim_{x\to p^+}f(x)=+\infty\iff \forall M >> 0, \exists \delta > 0, \text{ if } p \lt x \lt p + \delta \text{ then } f(x) > M$$

The definition for the limit being negative infinity is similar.

Likes RubroCP and Delta2
Mark44 said:
The definition you have usually goes like this:
limx→p+f(x)=+∞⟺∀M>>0,∃δ>0, if p<x<p+δ then f(x)>M

The definition for the limit being negative infinity is similar.
What about the "limit" of 1/x as x tends to 0? There is no interval around 0 where 1/x is >100.

Likes RubroCP
Svein said:
What about the "limit" of 1/x as x tends to 0? There is no interval around 0 where 1/x is >100.
The definition I wrote is for a one-sided limit. For any x in the half-interval (0, .01), 1/x > 100.

Likes RubroCP and Delta2
OK. I would prefer using absolute values, though. And then there is the philosophical question: Is +∞ different from -∞? Since neither one represents a number, how can we tell?

Since my main background is complex analysis, I prefer the Riemann sphere mapping.

Likes RubroCP
Svein said:
OK. I would prefer using absolute values, though. And then there is the philosophical question: Is +∞ different from -∞? Since neither one represents a number, how can we tell?
Saying that ##\lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) = \infty## is merely shorthand for saying that the function values get arbitrarily large as x gets nearer to ##x_0##. The function that you listed, f(x) = 1/x, can be made arbitrarily large and positive for positive x near zero, and can be made arbitrarily negative for negative x near zero. Neither limit "exists" in the sense of being a real number, but the infinity symbol conveys the unboundedness of the function values. The two one-sided limits are qualitatively and quantitatively about as different as they could possibly be, so, yes, ##+\infty## and ##-\infty## are very different.

Likes RubroCP and Delta2
Well, spring is here in force and my head is stuffed - some philosophical ideas should really be left undiscussed until pollen season is well and truly over.

Likes RubroCP
The cardinality of an infinite set, and infinity or negative infinity being the value of a limit, are basically totally distinct concepts that happen to share the word infinity. I'm sure there's some theory out there that unites the concepts in a very cool way, but I think for a first pass at learning either concept it's best to totally ignore the other one.

Likes RubroCP and pbuk

What is the definition of an infinite limit?

An infinite limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a certain point. It indicates that the function's output increases or decreases without bound as the input values get closer and closer to the specified point.

How is an infinite limit represented mathematically?

An infinite limit is typically represented using the notation "lim f(x) = ±∞" where f(x) is the function and ±∞ indicates that the limit is either positive or negative infinity. This notation is used to show that the function's output is unbounded as the input values approach a specific point.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite limit?

A finite limit is a limit where the function's output approaches a specific value as the input values get closer to a certain point. On the other hand, an infinite limit indicates that the function's output increases or decreases without bound as the input values approach the specified point.

What are some common types of infinite limits?

Some common types of infinite limits include vertical asymptotes, horizontal asymptotes, and limits at infinity. A vertical asymptote occurs when the function's output approaches positive or negative infinity as the input values approach a specific point. A horizontal asymptote describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach positive or negative infinity. A limit at infinity occurs when the function's output approaches a specific value as the input values get larger and larger.

How can infinite limits be evaluated?

Infinite limits can be evaluated by using various techniques, such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using the limit laws. Additionally, L'Hôpital's rule can be used to evaluate certain types of infinite limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior near the specified point to determine the appropriate method for evaluating the infinite limit.