1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite limit, small question

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{\sqrt{2x^{2}+1}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So at first glance I saw that this equation ends up at infinity/infinity so I tried to use L'hopital's rule and got:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{2x(2x^{2}+1)^{-1/2}} [/tex]

That seemed to have sent me in a wrong direction so I went back and just factored out the x^2 from the radical and it worked out such as:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{\sqrt{x^{2}(2+1x^{-2})}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{x\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} [/tex]

and with the limit applied:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} = \frac {4}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{8}[/tex]

which is correct, so my question is why didn't L'Hopital's Rule work when it was infinity/infinity or would it have worked out and I just stopped too soon?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's MUCH simpler to factor x^2 out of both terms in the radical, which is where you eventually went.
    The above can be written as
    [tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4\sqrt{2x^2 + 1}}{2x}} [/tex]

This is still the indeterminate form [inf/inf], and I think that repeated applications of L'Hopital's Rule won't be of any use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook