Infinite limit, small question

In summary, the given equation approaches infinity/infinity, so L'Hopital's Rule was attempted but led to a dead end. The correct approach was to factor out x^2 from both terms in the radical, simplifying the equation to 4/√(2+1/x^2). Taking the limit of this simplified equation results in the answer √8, which is correct.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{\sqrt{2x^{2}+1}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first glance I saw that this equation ends up at infinity/infinity so I tried to use L'hopital's rule and got:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{2x(2x^{2}+1)^{-1/2}} [/tex]

That seemed to have sent me in a wrong direction so I went back and just factored out the x^2 from the radical and it worked out such as:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{\sqrt{x^{2}(2+1x^{-2})}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{x\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} [/tex]

and with the limit applied:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} = \frac {4}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{8}[/tex]

which is correct, so my question is why didn't L'Hopital's Rule work when it was infinity/infinity or would it have worked out and I just stopped too soon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{\sqrt{2x^{2}+1}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first glance I saw that this equation ends up at infinity/infinity so I tried to use L'hopital's rule and got:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{2x(2x^{2}+1)^{-1/2}} [/tex]
It's MUCH simpler to factor x^2 out of both terms in the radical, which is where you eventually went.
The above can be written as
[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4\sqrt{2x^2 + 1}}{2x}} [/tex]

This is still the indeterminate form [inf/inf], and I think that repeated applications of L'Hopital's Rule won't be of any use.

Asphyxiated said:
That seemed to have sent me in a wrong direction so I went back and just factored out the x^2 from the radical and it worked out such as:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{\sqrt{x^{2}(2+1x^{-2})}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4x}{x\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} [/tex]

and with the limit applied:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac {4}{\sqrt{2+1x^{-2}}} = \frac {4}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{8}[/tex]

which is correct, so my question is why didn't L'Hopital's Rule work when it was infinity/infinity or would it have worked out and I just stopped too soon?

FAQ: Infinite limit, small question

1. What is an infinite limit?

An infinite limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity. This means that the output of the function will continue to increase or decrease without bound.

2. How do you calculate an infinite limit?

The calculation of an infinite limit involves evaluating the function at different values of the input variable as it approaches infinity. This can be done using algebraic manipulation, graphing techniques, or by using the rules of limits.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite limit?

A finite limit has a specific numerical value, whereas an infinite limit does not have a specific value as the function continues to increase or decrease without bound. A finite limit can be approximated, while an infinite limit cannot.

4. How can infinite limits be used in real-life applications?

Infinite limits are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems as time or distance approaches infinity. They can also be used in economics to model the behavior of markets or in biology to describe population growth.

5. Can an infinite limit ever be equal to a finite value?

No, an infinite limit cannot be equal to a finite value. If a limit approaches infinity, it will continue to increase or decrease without bound and will never reach a specific value. However, it is possible for a limit to approach infinity and not exist or approach infinity and be undefined.