This Limit problem seems too simple....

• Thread starter Wi_N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: R},\text{ so }|x^3|=x^3\\&=\infty\end{align*}$$In summary, we can solve this problem by using the fact that the limit of a polynomial as x approaches infinity is equal to the limit of its term of highest degree, and applying L'Hôpital's rule. We can then use the fact that, for all real numbers, x^3 is greater than 0, to simplify the equation and ultimately conclude that the limit is equal to infinity.
archaic said:
I do not think that this is rigorous but it is intuitive.
$$
\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2x^3+x+6}{x^3}
=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{x^3(2+\underbrace{\frac{x}{x^3}}_\text{goes to 0}+\underbrace{\frac{6}{x^3}}_\text{goes to 0})}{x^3}=2\\
\Leftrightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2x^3+x+6}{x^3}=2\\
\Leftrightarrow \frac{\lim_{x\to\infty}2x^3+x+6}{\lim_{x\to\infty}x^3}=2\\
\Leftrightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}2x^3+x+6=2\lim_{x\to\infty}x^3\\
\Leftrightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}2x^3+x+6=\lim_{x\to\infty}2x^3
$$

problem i had was that they told me i can't eliminate terms unless I am transitioning fully off the limit. mixed signals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wi_N said:
problem i had was that they told me i can't eliminate terms unless I am transitioning fully off the limit. mixed signals.
You're right. That post was not correct.

Likes Wi_N
PeroK said:
You're right. That post was not correct.
My bad, it is because the limit doesn't exist that we can't separate the limit, right?

archaic said:
My bad, it is because the limit doesn't exist that we can't separate the limit, right?

Limits may exists as real numbers and limits may exist as ##\pm\infty##. And, limits may be of an indefinite form, including ##0/0## and ##\infty/\infty##.

You need to take care.

Likes archaic and Wi_N
archaic said:
Why was that manipulation wrong though?

Let's replace the specific functions with some general ones to see what you are saying:

archaic said:
$$
\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=2\\
(1) \Leftrightarrow \frac{\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)}{\lim_{x\to\infty}g(x)}=2\\
(2) \Leftrightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=2\lim_{x\to\infty}g(x)\\
(3) \Leftrightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=\lim_{x\to\infty}2g(x)
$$

If we call these steps (1), (2) and (3):

Step (1) is not true, because the limits might not exist. E.g. alternating functions. Plus, you now may have an indeterminate form that is no longer under a limit process. In the specific case you have:
$$\frac{+\infty}{+\infty} = 2$$
Which is not a valid statement.

Step (2) does not hold if the limits are infinite or ##0##.

Step (3) does not hold if the limits are infinite.

• Informative
Likes archaic
PeroK said:
Let's replace the specific functions with some general ones to see what you are saying:
If we call these steps (1), (2) and (3):

Step (1) is not true, because the limits might not exist. E.g. alternating functions. Plus, you now may have an indeterminate form that is no longer under a limit process. In the specific case you have:
$$\frac{+\infty}{+\infty} = 2$$
Which is not a valid statement.

Step (2) does not hold if the limits are infinite or ##0##.

Step (3) does not hold if the limits are infinite.
Thank you! So do we know that the limit of a polynomial is that of its term of highest degree only because ##\lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0=\lim_{x\to\infty}x^n(c_n+\underbrace{\frac{c_{n-1}}{x}+...+\frac{c_0}{x^n}}_\text{=0})## and without further steps?

archaic said:
Thank you! So do we know that the limit of a polynomial is that of its term of highest degree only because ##\lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0=\lim_{x\to\infty}x^n(c_n+\underbrace{\frac{c_{n-1}}{x}+...+\frac{c_0}{x^n}}_\text{=0})## and without further steps?

Why you really want is:

##\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0}{x^n} = c_n##

archaic said:

This is fairly meaningless, as ##c_n x^n## is not an asymptote for your polynomial. I.e.:

##\lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0=\lim_{x\to\infty}x^n(c_n+\underbrace{\frac{c_{n-1}}{x}+...+\frac{c_0}{x^n}}_\text{=0}) = \lim_{x\to\infty}c^nx^n = \lim_{x\to\infty}x = +\infty##

Doesn't tell you a lot. For example:

##\lim_{x\to\infty}((c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0) - c_nx^n) \ne 0##

PeroK said:
This is fairly meaningless, as ##c_n x^n## is not an asymptote for your polynomial. I.e.:

##\lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0=\lim_{x\to\infty}x^n(c_n+\underbrace{\frac{c_{n-1}}{x}+...+\frac{c_0}{x^n}}_\text{=0}) = \lim_{x\to\infty}c^nx^n = \lim_{x\to\infty}x = +\infty##

Doesn't tell you a lot. For example:

##\lim_{x\to\infty}((c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0) - c_nx^n) \ne 0##
But why is it that we can substitute a polynomial by its ##c_nx^n## in some limits? In your example you would just cancel both ##n##th degree terms and then do the same manipulation with ##x^{n-1}##.

archaic said:
But why is it that we can substitute a polynomial by its ##c_nx^n## in some limits? In your example you would just cancel both ##n##th degree terms and then do the same manipulation with ##x^{n-1}##.

The meaningful statement is:

PeroK said:
##\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{c_nx^n+c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+c_0}{x^n} = c_n##

That's what allows you to do stuff.

PeroK said:
The meaningful statement is:
That's what allows you to do stuff.
But how do you go from that to ##\lim_{x\to\infty}P(x)=\lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n## inside another limit?
Do you ##\lim_{x\to\infty}P(x)G(x)=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{P(x)}{x^n}x^nG(x)=\lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^nG(x)##?

archaic said:
But how do you go from that to ##lim_{x\to\infty}P(x)=lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n##?
Do you ##lim_{x\to\infty}P(x)=lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{P(x)}{x^n}x^n=lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n##?

The first statement is really just saying both limits are +infinity. If you are working loosely, then you can throw stuff around. But, that's not what we are doing here.

The problem you have is that ##P(x)## and ##c_n x^n## do not converge. You need to avoid things like:

##lim_{x\to\infty}P(x)=lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n##

Then:

##lim_{x\to\infty} (P(x) - c_nx^n) = 0##

This is beside the point. You can't just throw things around, not worrying whether your limits are finite, infinite or 0.

PeroK said:
The first statement is really just saying both limits are +infinity. If you are working loosely, then you can throw stuff around. But, that's not what we are doing here.

The problem you have is that ##P(x)## and ##c_n x^n## do not converge. You need to avoid things like:

##lim_{x\to\infty}P(x)=lim_{x\to\infty}c_nx^n##

Then:

##lim_{x\to\infty} (P(x) - c_nx^n) = 0##

This is beside the point. You can't just throw things around, not worrying whether your limits are finite, infinite or 0.
Oh thank you, but I update my post while you were answering, I think.

archaic said:
But why is it that we can substitute a polynomial by its ##c_nx^n## in some limits?
Generally, you can't because cancellation may occur. If you can see that cancellation won't occur, then you can do the replacement. In this thread's problem, the leading order term is going to cancel, so it's not obvious you can simply discard the lower-order terms in the polynomial.

Last edited:
The Calc 1 approach to this problem is probably to multiply and divide by the conjugate:
\begin{align*}
\left(x^3 +x^2 +\frac{x}{2}\right)e^{\frac{1}{x}} - \sqrt{x^6+1}
&= \left[\left(x^3 +x^2 +\frac{x}{2}\right)e^{\frac{1}{x}} - \sqrt{x^6+1}\right]\frac{\left(x^3 +x^2 +\frac{x}{2}\right)e^{\frac{1}{x}} + \sqrt{x^6+1}}{\left(x^3 +x^2 +\frac{x}{2}\right)e^{\frac{1}{x}} + \sqrt{x^6+1}} \\
&= \frac{\left(x^3 +x^2 +\frac{x}{2}\right)^2e^{\frac{2}{x}} - (x^6+1)}{\left(x^3 +x^2 +\frac{x}{2}\right)e^{\frac{1}{x}} + \sqrt{x^6+1}} \\
\end{align*} It's fairly straightforward to analyze the problem from here with the usual Calc 1 methods.

vela said:
Generally, you can't because cancellation may occur. If you can see that cancellation won't occur, then you can do the replacement. In this thread's problem, the leading order term is going to cancel, so it's not obvious you can simply discard the lower-order terms in the polynomial.
So how can generally foresee that it is not OK to substitute a function with its asymptotic equivalent?

archaic said:
So how can generally foresee that it is not OK to substitute a function with its asymptotic equivalent?
It is ok. You simply have to consider all factors, quotients, sums and differences to determine what asymptotic really is!

Likes archaic