Infinite product converges if and only if sum converges

In summary: If you use the logarithm when the sum does converge, then the logarithm of the product will converge too.
ToNoAvail27

Homework Statement

[itex]a_n[/itex] is a sequence of positive numbers. Prove that [itex]\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} (1+a_n)[/itex] converges if and only if [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] converges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried writing out a partial product: [itex]\prod_{n=1}^{N} (1+a_n) = (1+a_1)(1+a_2)\dots(1+a_N) = 1 + \prod_{n=1}^{N} a_n + \sum_{n=1}^{N} a_n + C[/itex], where [itex]C[/itex] is the sum of all the combinations of the [itex]a_i[/itex], such as [itex]a_1a_2a_N[/itex] etc, but that did not really lead me to much. I was given the hint of using the logarithm, but I am not really sure when I would use that. Perhaps when the sum converges, so does [itex]\log(1+a_n)[/itex], though I'm not sure how that relates.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does ##\log(1+a_n)## compare with ##a_n##?

Well, ##\log(1+a_n) < a_n## so it will converge when ##a_n## does?
Also, if it does converge then wouldn't
##\sum_{n=1}^{N} \log(1+a_n) = \log(1+a_1)+\log(1+a_2)+\ldots+\log(1+a_n) = \log(\prod_{n=1}^{N}(1+a_n))## imply that the product would converge?

ToNoAvail27 said:
Well, ##\log(1+a_n) < a_n## so it will converge when ##a_n## does?
Also, if it does converge then wouldn't
##\sum_{n=1}^{N} \log(1+a_n) = \log(1+a_1)+\log(1+a_2)+\ldots+\log(1+a_n) = \log(\prod_{n=1}^{N}(1+a_n))## imply that the product would converge?
Yes, that's right. The function ##\log## is continuous, which justifies this step:
$$ \log \lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \prod_{n=1}^{N} (1+a_n) = \lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \log \prod_{n=1}^{N} (1+a_n)$$
Then apply the product-to-sum property of the log to get
$$\log \prod_{n=1}^{N} (1+a_n) = \sum_{n=1}^{N} \log (1+a_n)$$
The right hand side is smaller than ##\sum_{n=1}^{N} a_n##. Putting it all together and taking limits gives you a proof that ##\log \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} (1+a_n) \leq \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n##. What can you conclude?

Note that the problem statement says "if and only if", so you still need to prove the implication in the other direction.

ToNoAvail27 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]a_n[/itex] is a sequence of positive numbers. Prove that [itex]\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} (1+a_n)[/itex] converges if and only if [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] converges.

Homework Equations

I first tried writing out a partial product: [itex]\prod_{n=1}^{N} (1+a_n) = (1+a_1)(1+a_2)\dots(1+a_N) = 1 + \prod_{n=1}^{N} a_n + \sum_{n=1}^{N} a_n + C[/itex], where [itex]C[/itex] is the sum of all the combinations of the [itex]a_i[/itex], such as [itex]a_1a_2a_N[/itex] etc, but that did not really lead me to much. I was given the hint of using the logarithm, but I am not really sure when I would use that. Perhaps when the sum converges, so does [itex]\log(1+a_n)[/itex], though I'm not sure how that relates.

For 0 < x < 1 we have
[tex] x -\frac{1}{2} x^2 < \ln(1+x) < x [/tex]
This gives you valuable information when N is so large that ##a_n < 1 \: \forall n \geq N##.

ToNoAvail27 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

For 0 < x < 1 we have
[tex] x -\frac{1}{2} x^2 < \ln(1+x) < x [/tex]
This gives you valuable information when n is so large that ##a_n < 1##.

1. What is an infinite product?

An infinite product is an expression that involves an infinite number of factors, typically represented as ∏ (capital pi) notation. For example, ∏(1+1/n) represents an infinite product with n factors.

2. What does it mean for an infinite product to converge?

An infinite product converges if the value of the expression approaches a finite number as the number of factors increases towards infinity. In other words, the product "settles" on a specific value rather than continuously growing or oscillating.

3. How is the convergence of an infinite product related to the convergence of its corresponding sum?

The convergence of an infinite product is directly related to the convergence of its corresponding sum. If the sum of the logarithms of the factors in an infinite product converges, then the product itself also converges. Conversely, if the sum of logarithms diverges, then the product also diverges.

4. What is the significance of the "if and only if" statement in the infinite product convergence theorem?

The "if and only if" statement in the infinite product convergence theorem means that the convergence of an infinite product and its corresponding sum are mutually dependent. This means that if the product converges, then the sum must also converge, and vice versa.

5. What are some examples of infinite products that converge if and only if their corresponding sums converge?

Some examples of infinite products that converge if and only if their corresponding sums converge include the geometric series ∏(1+r^n) and the Euler product ∏(1-p^-s), where r and p are constants and s is a variable.