Solve Gamelin's XIII.3 15: Infinite Product Meromorphicity

In summary: Let's just assume that the multiple vanishes and move on.In summary, the problem is that complex logarithms don't preserve the properties where real valued logarithms do. However, by assuming that the multiple vanishes, we can still get the desired result.
xiavatar
How do you show that $$\frac{1}{z}\prod_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n}{z+n}(\frac{n+1}{n})^z$$ is meromorphic? Any hints would be helpful, I'm having trouble bounding the functions and their logarithms. This is exercise XIII.3 problem 15 in Gamelin's Complex Analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take logarithms - it transforms the product into a sum.

I did take logarithms, but the problem is bounding it and applying Weirstrass M-test. So what were reduced to showing is that $$\sum_{n=k}^\infty \text{log}(\frac{n}{z+n}(\frac{n+1}{n})^z)\leq \sum_{n=k}^\infty M_n<\infty$$ on a disk $$D_r$$ centered at zero where $$k>r$$.

Last edited:
[itex]log(\frac{n}{z+n}(\frac{n+1}{n})^{z})=log(n)-log(z+n)+zlog(n+1)-zlog(n)=(1-z)log(n)-log(z+n)+zlog(n+1) [/itex].

But the problem is that complex logarithms don't preserve the properties were used to with real valued logarithms. In order for them to be holomorphic we have to choose an analytic branch for the logarithm, and once we've done that we can't just rewrite the log as you have written. Or have I misunderstood something?

xiavatar said:
we have to choose an analytic branch for the logarithm
Yes, but we have some help. I propose that we go for the branch where the argument is between -π and π. This is trivially fulfilled for log(n) and log(n+1). For sufficiently large n, the argument for log(z+n) is even between -π/2 and π/2.

Last edited:
Okay, so we can choose an analytic branch, but your above equality with the logarithm
Svein said:
[itex]log(\frac{n}{z+n}(\frac{n+1}{n})^{z})=log(n)-log(z+n)+zlog(n+1)-zlog(n)=(1-z)log(n)-log(z+n)+zlog(n+1) [/itex].
is only correct up to a multiple of $$2\pi i$$. What allows you to assume that the multiple vanishes in this case?

xiavatar said:
What allows you to assume that the multiple vanishes in this case?
Well, since I am only doing logarithms in order to get a grip on the expression, I don't much care. The original expression is not in logarithms, so we need to take the exponent anyway.

1. What is Gamelin's XIII.3 15 and why is it important?

Gamelin's XIII.3 15 is a theorem in complex analysis that deals with the meromorphicity of infinite products. It is important because it provides a way to extend the concept of meromorphic functions to infinite products, allowing for a deeper understanding of complex analysis.

2. How do you solve Gamelin's XIII.3 15?

To solve Gamelin's XIII.3 15, one must first understand the concepts of meromorphic functions and infinite products. Then, using the given formula, one can manipulate the infinite product to determine its meromorphicity.

3. What is the significance of infinite product meromorphicity?

Infinite product meromorphicity is significant because it allows for the representation of complex functions as infinite products, which can provide insights into the behavior of these functions. It also allows for the extension of meromorphic functions to a larger class of functions, making them more useful in complex analysis.

4. Can Gamelin's XIII.3 15 be applied to any complex function?

No, Gamelin's XIII.3 15 can only be applied to certain types of functions, specifically those that are meromorphic. It cannot be applied to functions that are not meromorphic or those that have singularities at infinity.

5. How is Gamelin's XIII.3 15 used in real-world applications?

Gamelin's XIII.3 15 is primarily used in complex analysis and theoretical mathematics. However, it has also been applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance, where complex functions are used to model and analyze various systems.