Does the Ratio Test guarantee convergence for this infinite series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the ratio test to prove the convergence of a series with given conditions. The participants consider two possible interpretations of the limit and eventually conclude that the series converges. Bailey also suggests using Gauss' convergence test for series.
MrBailey
Hi all!
Here's something I'm having difficulty seeing:
Suppose

[tex]u_n > 0[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n} \leq 1-\frac{2}{n} + \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] if [tex]n \geq 2[/tex]

Show that [tex]\sum{u_n}[/tex] is convergent.

I'm not sure how to apply the ratio test to this.
It looks like I would just take the limit.

I get: [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 1-\frac{2}{n} + \frac{1}{n^2} = 1[/tex]

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I could see this two ways.
Since the above limit converges to 1, then the summation converges by the ratio test.
Or, since the limit converges to one, the summation may converge or diverge.
Is either statement correct? Am I on the right track?
Thanks for the help.
Bailey

Physics news on Phys.org
Got it...

[tex]u_n=\frac{k}{(n-1)^2}[/tex] where k is a constant.

This is just the series:

[tex]k \sum{\frac{1}{n^2}}[/tex] which we know convergesWhew!

Bailey

Since the ratio test demands that the limit be less than 1, it looks as though the ratio test fails as Mr. Bailey have shown.

Couldn't there exist other series which satisfy said inequality?

He probably meant u_n <= k/(n - 1)^2.

Let a_n = 1 - 2/n + 1/n^2.

Then u_(n + 1) <= a_n * u_n <= a_n * a_(n - 1) * u_(n - 1), etc. Inductively, we have that u_(n + 1) <= a_n * a_(n - 1) * ... * a_1 * u_0.

But as "luck" would have it, a_n * a_(n - 1) * ... * a_1 = 1/(n - 1)^2 (easy to show with induction), so the desired inequality follows. (N.B the details are probably not all correct. But that's relatively unimportant).

1. What is the ratio test for infinite series?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1 or it does not exist, the series diverges.

2. How do you apply the ratio test to a specific infinite series?

To apply the ratio test, you would first find the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1 or it does not exist, the series diverges. This can be done by simplifying the expression and using known limits or by using L'Hopital's rule.

3. What is the advantage of using the ratio test over other convergence tests?

The ratio test is advantageous because it can be used for both convergent and divergent series. It also provides a clear and definitive answer for the convergence or divergence of a series, whereas other tests may only indicate convergence or divergence without a definite answer.

4. Are there any limitations to using the ratio test?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the ratio test. It can only be applied to series with positive terms. It also may not provide a conclusive answer for series with terms that do not approach 0 or infinity. In these cases, other convergence tests may need to be used.

5. Can the ratio test be used to find the sum of an infinite series?

No, the ratio test alone cannot be used to find the sum of an infinite series. It only determines the convergence or divergence of a series. To find the sum of a convergent series, other methods such as partial sums or geometric series formulas need to be used.