Infinite Series: U(n+1)/U(n) Calculation

In this case, they are used to find the ratio between the two terms. In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the ratio between two terms of a given series and whether changing the positions of the terms affects the answer. The expert believes that both approaches will give the correct answer, but the textbook's approach is better due to its simplicity and lower chance of making mistakes. The terms U(n) and U(n+1) refer to the nth and (n+1)th term of the series respectively, and are used to find the ratio between them.
rohit dutta
The given series is:
1+[(a+1)/(b+1)]+[(a+1)(2*a+1)/(b+1)(2*b+1)]+[(a+1)(2*a+1)(3*a+1)/(b+1)(2*b+1)(3*b+1)]+...∞

Problem:
To find U(n+1)/U(n).

My approach:

Removing the first term(1) of the series and making the second term the first,third term the second and so on...
I get,
U(n+1)/U(n)={(n+1)a}+1/{(n+1)b}+1.

Text book approach:

Neglecting the first term and keeping the position of the succeeding terms unchanged, it gives,
U(n+1)/U(n)={n*a}+1/{n*b}+1.

I believe my approach is right because solving further to test for convergence or divergence, both of us end up with the same answer. Also, according to the property, removing or adding a term will not affect the convergence or divergence of a series. But, in my approach, I changed the positions of the terms after the removal of the first term. It did not affect my answer but is it the right way to solve the problem? Will my approach always assure a right answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi rohit dutta! :smile:
rohit dutta said:
I believe my approach is right because solving further to test for convergence or divergence, both of us end up with the same answer. Also, according to the property, removing or adding a term will not affect the convergence or divergence of a series. But, in my approach, I changed the positions of the terms after the removal of the first term. It did not affect my answer but is it the right way to solve the problem? Will my approach always assure a right answer?

yes, your approach will always give the right answer

however, in this case the book's approach is better, for two reasons …

i] it gives factors of n (instead of n+1), which is simpler
ii] the less re-numbering you do the less likely you are to make a mistake! :wink:

Likes 1 person
Maybe I'm dense, but what are U(n) and U(n + 1)?

Mark44 said:
Maybe I'm dense, but what are U(n) and U(n + 1)?

U(n) appears to be the first n terms of …
rohit dutta said:
The given series is:
1+[(a+1)/(b+1)]+[(a+1)(2*a+1)/(b+1)(2*b+1)]+[(a+1)(2*a+1)(3*a+1)/(b+1)(2*b+1)(3*b+1)]+...∞

:wink:

U(n) and U(n+1) refer to the nth and (n+1)th term of the series respectively.

Related to Infinite Series: U(n+1)/U(n) Calculation

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of infinitely many terms that are added together. The sum is called the value of the series.

What is the formula for calculating an infinite series?

The formula for an infinite series is U(n+1)/U(n), where U(n) represents the nth term in the series.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

An infinite series converges if the limit of the sequence of partial sums exists and is a finite number. It diverges if the limit does not exist or is infinite.

What is the significance of the ratio U(n+1)/U(n) in an infinite series?

The ratio U(n+1)/U(n) is used to determine if an infinite series converges or diverges. If the ratio is less than 1, the series converges, if the ratio is greater than 1, the series diverges, and if the ratio is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

Are there any other methods for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the comparison test, the integral test, and the root test. These methods can be used when the ratio test is inconclusive.