How to evaluate an infinite series with a geometric pattern?

In summary, to evaluate the infinite series of 7(0.35)^k from k=1 to infinity to the thousandths place, we can use the formula S\infty = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, a=7 and r=0.35, giving us a sum of 10.769. To get the sum from k=1 to infinity, we can subtract the first term (7) from the sum, giving us a final answer of 3.769. Alternatively, we can let n=k-1 and use the formula from n=0 to infinity with a0=7(0.35)=2.45 and r
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

I'm told to evaluate the following to the thousandths place:

[tex]\infty[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] 7*(0.35)^k
k=1

Homework Equations

We know that an infinite equation can be expressed as:

S[tex]\infty[/tex]=(a1)/1-rn

The Attempt at a Solution

The first term (a1) is 7 and r=.35 so I can plug those into the above equation. I can see that we're doing something along the lines of:

7+7(.35)+7(.35^2)+7(.35^3)

However, there are two issues I'm having.

1) How do I plug in n when it's infinity?

2) In the non-infinite sum of geometric series problems I've worked where in the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] equation it's r^k versus the normal format of r^k-1 I had to modify the problem to make it k-1 and ended up multiplying the whole thing by r and then subtracting r from the whole thing... It was kind of crazy and I'm still not sure why and what happened.

Do I have to do something like that here?

How do I solve this equation?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
oddjobmj said:

Homework Statement

I'm told to evaluate the following to the thousandths place:

[tex]\infty[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] 7*(0.35)^k
k=1

Homework Equations

We know that an infinite equation can be expressed as:

S[tex]\infty[/tex]=(a1)/1-rn
No, this is wrong. The formula for a finite geometric sum is
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n ar^k= \frac{a(1- r^{n+ 1})}{1- r}[/tex].

You get the formula for the infinite series by taking the limit as n goes to infinity. It only converges if -1< r< 1 and in that case [itex]r^n[/itex] goes to 0. The sum of an infinite geometric series,
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first term (a1) is 7 and r=.35 so I can plug those into the above equation. I can see that we're doing something along the lines of:

7+7(.35)+7(.35^2)+7(.35^3)

However, there are two issues I'm having.

1) How do I plug in n when it's infinity?
There is no "n" in the formula for the sum of an infinite series.

2) In the non-infinite sum of geometric series problems I've worked where in the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] equation it's r^k versus the normal format of r^k-1 I had to modify the problem to make it k-1 and ended up multiplying the whole thing by r and then subtracting r from the whole thing... It was kind of crazy and I'm still not sure why and what happened.

Do I have to do something like that here?
No, you do not.

How do I solve this equation?

Thank you for your time!
Use the formula
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]

Alright, thanks!

Now I guess my issue is that k=1 in my equation and I'm really not sure how to get it to 0.

Just for future reference if anyone has this question again.

I figured it out after HallsofIvy's help, thanks!

You just take the result of a/(1-r) which happens to be 10.769 in this case and subtract 1*a or '7' to get the end result of 3.769.

The "k= 0" term in [itex]7(0.35)^k[/itex] is [itex]7(0.35)^0= 7[/itex]. To get the sum from k= 1 to infinity. ust use the formula from 0 to infinity, the subtract 7.

Or: let n= k-1 so that when k= 1, n= 0. Then k= n+ 1 so [itex]7(0.35)^k= 7(0.35)^{n+1}= 7(0.35)(0.35)^n[/math]. Use the formula from n=0 to infinity with \(\displaystyle a_0= 7(0.35)= 2.45 and r still 0.35.

Both of those should give the same answer.\)

What is an infinite series without k-1?

An infinite series without k-1 is a mathematical series in which the index of summation, usually denoted by k, does not start at 1. Instead, it can start at any other value such as 0, 2, or even negative numbers.

What is the purpose of studying infinite series without k-1?

The study of infinite series without k-1 allows for a more general understanding of mathematical series. It also allows for the evaluation of series that cannot be evaluated using traditional methods, such as those with negative indices.

What are some examples of infinite series without k-1?

Some examples of infinite series without k-1 include the geometric series with a starting index of 2, the binomial series with a starting index of -1, and the harmonic series with a starting index of 3.

Is it possible to convert an infinite series without k-1 to a traditional series?

Yes, it is possible to convert an infinite series without k-1 to a traditional series by adjusting the starting index. For example, if an infinite series without k-1 starts at 0, it can be converted to a traditional series by subtracting 1 from the index of summation.

What are some applications of infinite series without k-1?

Infinite series without k-1 have many applications in physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model real-life scenarios such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. They are also used in calculus to solve complex integration problems.