Solving Infinite Series: U(n) Convergence/ Divergence

In summary, the series ƩU(n) converges according to the Cauchy's root test. The order in which you apply the tests does not affect the final answer, as long as you get a conclusive result from at least one of them.
rohit dutta
Given,
U(n)=1/(logn)^(2*n)

To find:
Whether the series ƩU(n) is convergent or divergent.

Sequence of tests to be followed:
*Comparison tests
*Integral tests
*D'Alembert's ratio test
*Raabe's test
*Logarithmic test
*Cauchy's root test

My approach:
Comparison test:
Since the series V(n) cannot be obtained from the given series, comparison test[which says Lt U(n)/V(n) as n→∞= some finite number (≠0)] fails. So, we must proceed.

Integral test:
Since, U(n) is a decreasing function of n, this test holds. One can perform the integral to find out whether the series is convergent or divergent. Say this integral is time taking. So, I decide to skip this test.

Ratio test:
U(n)/U(n+1)= [{log(n+1)}^2*(n+1)]/[{log(n)}^2*n]. I skip this too due to it's complexity.

Now, what I do is that I skip the intermediate tests and directly come to Cauchy's test.

Cauchy's root test:

[U(n)]^(1/n)= 1/[log(n)] (On solving)

Lt [U(n)]^(1/n) as n→∞= Lt 1/[log(n)] as n→∞= 0(<1). So, according to the test, the series converges.

Now, I initially said that the integral test holds but I decided to skip the test saying it was tough to integrate. Then, I moved on to the ratio test and came up with a complicated expression and once again, I decided to skip the test. I skipped the intermediate steps too and finally I felt that Cauchy's test was user-friendly :wink: and used it to get my answer.

My doubt is, can I perform any test that succeeds the previous one such that former test holds? What I mean to say is can I perform a test (say any test) which comes after the integral test to simplify the problem? The integral test did hold but it was tough whereas the Cauchy's test provided a simple approach. Will my approach always assure the right answer?

To be even more clear, will the result obtained by the integral test match the result obtained by Cauchy's test?

Also, do I need to follow the exact sequence of tests mentioned above? I believe that for a particular series more than one tests can hold so I always go in a random sequence depending on my analysis of the series. The textbook goes in this sequence so I wanted to clarify.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use any of the tests in any order you like. The series either converges or diverges, and any test that gives you a conclusive result will give you the right answer. The answer doesn't change depending on which tests you perform in what order.

In this case, the root test has given you a conclusive answer: the series converges. You don't need to perform any other tests if you get a conclusive answer from one of them. The other tests may or may not give conclusive answers. If they do, they will all give the same answer. In general, use whichever test is easiest to apply to the given series.

Related to Solving Infinite Series: U(n) Convergence/ Divergence

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is written in the form of a sum of terms, with the general term denoted as u(n).

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, we can use various tests such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the general term u(n) as n approaches infinity, and can determine if the series converges (approaches a finite value) or diverges (does not approach a finite value).

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of an infinite series when all terms are positive. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to the convergence of an infinite series when the terms alternate between positive and negative. In some cases, a series may be absolutely convergent but not conditionally convergent.

4. Can an infinite series converge to a negative value?

Yes, an infinite series can converge to a negative value. This can happen if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values, resulting in a final sum that is negative.

5. How can you use the ratio test to determine convergence or divergence?

The ratio test evaluates the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test should be used to determine convergence or divergence.