Infinite square well perturbation

In summary, the energy of the particle is shifted up by Vo/2 and there is no correction to the wavefunctions.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m in the infinite square well is subjected to the perturbation H'=Vo, 0<x<L/2, H'=0 else.

(a) use first order perturbation theory to calculate the energies of the particle

(b) what are the first order corrected wave functions?

(c) if the particle is an electron, how do the frequencies emitted by the perturbed system compare with those of the unperturbed system?

Homework Equations

[tex]E_n^{(1)}=H'_{nn}=<E_n^{(0)}|H'|E_n^{(0)}>[/tex]

[tex]|E_n^{(1)}> = \sum_{m \notequal n} \frac{H_{mn}^'}{E_n^{(0)}-E_m^{(0)}} |E_m^{(0)}>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part (a) and got an answer of Vo/2..i.e. each energy level is shifted up by this amount.

For part (b), I got that there is no correction to the wavefunctions, since m cannot equal n and

[tex]H'_{mn}=\frac{2V_0}{L} \int_0^{L/2} sin(\frac{n \pi}{L}x)sin(\frac{m \pi}{L}x) dx = \frac{V_0}{2} \delta_{mn}[/tex]

did I do part (b) correctly?

also, part (c) is confusing me..does anyone have any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you did part (b) wrong. You might want to double check your integral. For example, if n=1 and m=2 you get [itex]4V/3\pi[/itex]. As long as one of them is even and the other odd, you will get a solution that is nonzero.

oo yes you're absolutely correct, the late hour affected my thinking.

since m can be any integer not equal to n, am i allowed to just set m=n+1? that would certainly help in calculating the denominator (and I don't see how else the denominator can be calculated unless m is defined in terms of n...)

No, because you can also have n=1 and m=4, which violates your m=n+1 rule you made up. If you know n is even, then you are just taking a sum of all odd numbers. If n is odd, then you are taking a sum of all even numbers.

so how am I to explicitly calculate the integral?

wolfram alpha gave me the following

[tex]\int_0^{L/2} sin(\frac{m \pi x}{L}) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) dx = \frac{L}{2 \pi} \left( \frac{sin(\frac{\pi}{2}(m-n))}{(m-n)} - \frac{sin(\frac{\pi}{2}(m+n))}{(m+n)} \right) [/tex]

Use the trig identity [itex]\sin A \sin B = [\cos(A-B)-\cos(A+B)]/2[/itex].

Also, just solve for n=odd and n=even separately.

1. What is the concept of an infinite square well perturbation?

The infinite square well perturbation is a theoretical model used to study the effects of an external perturbation on a quantum particle confined within an infinite potential well. It is often used to understand the behavior of quantum systems in the presence of external forces or disturbances.

2. How is an infinite square well perturbation solved?

The infinite square well perturbation is typically solved using the time-independent perturbation theory, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the unperturbed system and then applying a perturbation to the Hamiltonian to obtain the new eigenvalues and eigenstates.

3. What are some examples of perturbations in an infinite square well?

Examples of perturbations in an infinite square well can include changes in the potential well depth, changes in the width of the well, or the inclusion of an external potential such as an electric or magnetic field.

4. How does the perturbation affect the energy levels in an infinite square well?

The perturbation in an infinite square well can cause the energy levels to shift and split, resulting in the energy states becoming degenerate. This can also lead to the appearance of new energy states that were not present in the unperturbed system.

5. What are the applications of studying infinite square well perturbations?

The study of infinite square well perturbations has various applications in physics and engineering, including understanding the behavior of quantum systems, analyzing the effects of external forces on particles, and developing new technologies such as quantum computers and sensors.