Infinity in Mathematics (Calculus and Series)

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of integrals and sigma series between various limits, including 0 and infinity, -infinity and infinity, and n=1 and infinity. An integral between two limits is shorthand notation for a limit as one of the limits approaches infinity. An example of calculating an integral is provided to illustrate the concept.
kurt.physics
Could some one please explain to me 2 things

1) I have seen integrals that are between 0 and ∞ and also between -∞ and ∞. What does this mean

2) I have also seen sigma series (∑) between n=1 and ∞. What doe this mean

Thanks heaps

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually, an expression like
[tex] \int_0^\infty f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x [/tex]
is just a shorthand notation for
[tex] \lim_{a \to \infty} \int_0^a f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x. [/tex]
Likewise,
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \lim_{a \to -\infty} \int_a^0 f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x + \lim_{b \to \infty} \int_0^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x[/tex]
and
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty a_n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n = 1}^N a_n.[/tex]

Thanks CompuChip, but i don't understand, how do they exist, what do they literally mean, could you give a example please.

Thanks

I think we need to find out what you think an integral, and a limit are, since the above seem self explanatory.

For example, suppose we want to evaluate
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x} \, \mathrm{d}x. [/tex]
Then we first calculate
[tex]\int_0^a e^{-x} \, \mathrm{d}x = \left. -e^{-x} \right|_{x = 0}^a = -e^{-a} - (-e^{-0}) = 1 - e^{-a}[/tex].
Now take the limit:
[tex]
\int_0^\infty e^{-x} \, \mathrm{d}x =
\lim_{a \to \infty} \int_0^a e^{-x} \, \mathrm{d}x =
\lim_{a \to \infty} 1 - e^{-a} =
1 - \lim_{a \to \infty} e^{-a} = 1 - 0 = 1.
[/tex]

That's all there is to it... which part didn't you understand?

Thanks, it makes perfect sense now :)

1. What is infinity in mathematics?

Infinity in mathematics is a concept that represents a quantity or value that is larger than any possible number. It is often used in calculus and series to describe a limit or an unbounded quantity.

2. How is infinity used in calculus?

In calculus, infinity is used to represent the limit of a function as it approaches a certain value. For example, in the limit of a function as x approaches infinity, the function can be said to tend towards a value of infinity.

3. Can infinity be a number?

No, infinity is not considered a number in mathematics. It is a concept that represents a quantity that is larger than any number. It cannot be used in calculations or operations like a regular number.

4. What is the difference between countable and uncountable infinity?

Countable infinity refers to a set of numbers that can be counted, such as the set of natural numbers. Uncountable infinity, on the other hand, refers to a set of numbers that cannot be counted, such as the set of real numbers. This distinction is important in calculus and series as different techniques are used to approach and understand these types of infinity.

5. How is infinity used in series?

In series, infinity is used to describe the behavior of a sequence of numbers as it approaches an infinite number of terms. It is also used to determine whether a series converges or diverges, a crucial concept in calculus and higher mathematics.