Inflating Balloon: Help Sergio Find the Correct Answer

• Thread starter S_fabris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the problem involves a toy balloon inflated with helium at a constant pressure of 4.2e5 Pa above atmospheric pressure. The balloon inflates from a volume of 1.4e-4m3 to 9.6e-4m3. The work done by the balloon on the surrounding air is found by multiplying the pressure by the change in volume, which results in 427.466 J. The mistake was adding the atmospheric pressure to the given pressure.
S_fabris
This is one of many postings from me this week :yuck: unfortunately I'm just not getting the correct answers...anyway here I go :

A toy balloon is inflated with helium at a constant pressure that is 4.2e5 Pa in excess of atmospheric pressure. If the balloon inflates from a volume of 1.4e-4m3 to 9.6e-4m3, how much work is done by the balloon on the surrounding air? answer in J
this is my work

P= 4.2e5Pa + 101300Pa
= 521 300 Pa
dV = (Vf-Vi) = (9.6e-4 - 1.4e-4)
= 0.00082m3

W= 521 300Pa x (0.00082m3)
427.466 J (incorrect on homework server)

I'm guessing it has something to do with the work on the surrounding air...I have been looking in my books and course notes for this and I can't find anything...can anybody help me out??

Any help is appreciated,
Sergio

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what the problem is supposed to be: A toy balloon is inflated with helium at a constant pressure that is [tex]4.2e^5[/tex] Pa in excess of atmospheric pressure. If the balloon inflates from a volume of [tex]1.4e^{-4}m^3[/tex] to [tex]9.6e^{-4}m^3[/tex], how much work is done by the balloon on the surrounding air? answer in J

(?)

Yes that's exactly the question on my homework page :)

Hey we finally got the answer...for the pressure...do not add the atmospheric pressure...simply use the one in the question

THank you for your time

Sergio

What is the correct way to inflate a balloon?

The correct way to inflate a balloon is to hold the neck of the balloon tightly, insert the nozzle of the pump or your mouth, and gently blow air into the balloon until it reaches the desired size. Then, quickly remove the nozzle or your mouth and tie the neck of the balloon in a knot to keep the air in.

Why doesn't Sergio's balloon inflate when he blows into it?

There could be a few reasons why Sergio's balloon isn't inflating when he blows into it. One possibility is that there is a hole or tear in the balloon, causing the air to escape. Another possibility is that Sergio may not be blowing hard enough or for a long enough time to fully inflate the balloon.

How can Sergio prevent his balloon from popping?

To prevent a balloon from popping, Sergio should avoid over-inflating it. He can also try using a pump instead of blowing into the balloon with his mouth, as this can create less pressure and reduce the risk of popping. Additionally, handling the balloon gently and avoiding sharp objects can also help prevent it from popping.

Why does a balloon stick to hair or clothing after being rubbed against it?

When a balloon is rubbed against hair or clothing, it creates static electricity. This causes the balloon to become negatively charged, and it will stick to positively charged objects such as hair or clothing. This is known as the triboelectric effect.

Can I reuse a deflated balloon?

It is not recommended to reuse a deflated balloon, as it may have small holes or tears that can cause it to deflate quickly. Additionally, the elasticity of the balloon may decrease after being inflated and deflated multiple times, making it more likely to pop. It is best to use a new balloon for each use.