Inflection Points: Understanding the Critical Points of a Surface

In summary: No, f'' = 0 is not a necessary condition. One example I gave above, f(x) = x1/3, should convince you that there is an inflection point at (0, 0) even though f''(0) ≠ 0. (f''(0) is not even defined.)
Jhenrique
Given a function ##f(x)##, the critical points are where ##f'=0## and the inflection points are where ##f''=0##. Given a function ##f(x,y)##, the critical points are where ##\vec{\nabla}f = \vec{0}##, so I can deduce that the inflection points are where ##Hf=0## . Correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define an "inflection point" on a surface?

Jhenrique, the definition you are using for inflection points isn't correct. For a single-variable function, an inflection point exists at any point in the domain of the function at which the concavity changes. For example, for f(x) = x1/3, the only inflection point is at (0, 0) even though f'' is not defined for x = 0.

Also, just because f'' is zero at some point doesn't guaranteed that there is an inflection point there. For example, let f(x) = x4. Then f'(x) = 4x3 and f''(x) = 12x2. f''(0) = 0, but this function has no inflection points, as the concavity never changes.

micromass said:
How did you define an "inflection point" on a surface?
A definition well defined I don't know to say, but intuitively I'd say that is a point where tangent sphere have raius equal to infinity (like in a inflection point of a curve that have a tangent circle of radius equal to infinity)...

Mark44 said:
Jhenrique, the definition you are using for inflection points isn't correct. For a single-variable function, an inflection point exists at any point in the domain of the function at which the concavity changes. For example, for f(x) = x1/3, the only inflection point is at (0, 0) even though f'' is not defined for x = 0.

Also, just because f'' is zero at some point doesn't guaranteed that there is an inflection point there. For example, let f(x) = x4. Then f'(x) = 4x3 and f''(x) = 12x2. f''(0) = 0, but this function has no inflection points, as the concavity never changes.

Ok. Let's say that f'' = 0 is a necessary condition for the existence of a inflection point in a curve (and not a sufficient), so, Hf = 0 is a necessary condition for the existence of a inflection point in a surface?

Mark44 said:

Jhenrique said:
Ok. Let's say that f'' = 0 is a necessary condition for the existence of a inflection point in a curve (and not a sufficient), so, Hf = 0 is a necessary condition for the existence of a inflection point in a surface?
No, f'' = 0 is not a necessary condition. One example I gave above, f(x) = x1/3, should convince you that there is an inflection point at (0, 0) even though f''(0) ≠ 0. (f''(0) is not even defined.)

Mark44 said:
No, f'' = 0 is not a necessary condition. One example I gave above, f(x) = x1/3, should convince you that there is an inflection point at (0, 0) even though f''(0) ≠ 0. (f''(0) is not even defined.)

Words from Wolframapage:
A necessary condition for x to be an inflection point is f''(x)=0
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InflectionPoint.html

2nd place: exist inflection point in a surface? If yes, how to identify them?

Mark44 said:
Jhenrique said:
Words from Wolframapage:
A necessary condition for x to be an inflection point is f''(x)=0
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InflectionPoint.html
My example shows that the MathWorld statement is incorrect. You can have an inflection point at (c, f(c)) even when f''(c) is not equal to zero.

From the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflection_point), with emphasis added:
If x is an inflection point for f then the second derivative, f″(x), is equal to zero if it exists,...

The converse of the above is not necessarily true; e.g., f(x) = x4. For this function, we have f''(0) = 0, but (0, 0) is not an inflection point.

For g(x) x1/3, (0, 0) is the inflection point, since the concavity changes sign at 0, even though g''(0) isn't zero.

Likes 1 person
Also, I did a quick search for surface inflection points, but didn't come up with anything. Admittedly, I didn't search too hard.

Jhenrique said:
Given a function ##f(x)##, the critical points are where ##f'=0## and the inflection points are where ##f''=0##. Given a function ##f(x,y)##, the critical points are where ##\vec{\nabla}f = \vec{0}##, so I can deduce that the inflection points are where ##Hf=0## . Correct?

No. If [itex]\nabla f = 0[/itex] then there is:
  • a local minimum if both eigenvalues of Hf have strictly positive real part.
  • a local maximum if both eigenvalues of Hf have strictly negative real part.
  • a saddle point if one eigenvalue of Hf is strictly positive the other is strictly negative.
If one or both eigenvalues have zero real part then you have to look to higher order to determine the local behaviour of [itex]f[/itex].

Mark44 said:
Also, I did a quick search for surface inflection points, but didn't come up with anything. Admittedly, I didn't search too hard.

I think the two-dimensional equivalent of the point of inflection is the saddle point (at least in the case where Hf is defined).

Mark44 said:

I think the Wolfram definition considers that an inflection point is a property of the geometry of the curve, not an artefact of any particular equations or coordinate systems that are used to describe it.

The existence of ##dy/dx## depends on the arbitrary choice of an axis system.

In that interpretation, the curve still has an inflection point if rotated through ##\pi/4## and the gradient at the inflection point becomes 1.

For a sufficiently smooth curve, re-parametrizing it using its arc length gets rid of arbitrary happenstance about the existence of derivatives w.r.t. the parameter.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
I think the two-dimensional equivalent of the point of inflection is the saddle point (at least in the case where Hf is defined).
That thought came to my mind as well.

AlephZero said:
I think the Wolfram definition considers that an inflection point is a property of the geometry of the curve, not an artefact of any particular equations or coordinate systems that are used to describe it.

The existence of ##dy/dx## depends on the arbitrary choice of an axis system.
From the perspective of the original post in this thread, and countless calculus texts, the axes are already chosen for us. "Given a function f(x)..."
AlephZero said:
In that interpretation, the curve still has an inflection point if rotated through ##\pi/4## and the gradient at the inflection point becomes 1.
Yes, I understand that, but it seems to me to be something of a stretch in the context of the question that was asked.
AlephZero said:
For a sufficiently smooth curve, re-parametrizing it using its arc length gets rid of arbitrary happenstance about the existence of derivatives w.r.t. the parameter.

1. What is an inflection point of a surface?

An inflection point of a surface is a point on a three-dimensional surface where the curvature changes from concave to convex or vice versa. This means that the surface changes from bending inward to bending outward, or the other way around.

2. How do you find the inflection point of a surface?

The inflection point of a surface can be found by taking the second derivative of the surface equation and setting it equal to zero. This will give you the x and y coordinates of the inflection point. You can also visually identify the inflection point by looking for the point where the curvature changes.

3. Why is the inflection point of a surface important?

The inflection point of a surface is important because it can give insight into the shape and behavior of the surface. It can also help determine the stability and critical points of the surface, which can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications.

4. Can a surface have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a surface can have multiple inflection points. In fact, some surfaces may have an infinite number of inflection points, while others may not have any at all. The number and location of inflection points depend on the shape and curvature of the surface.

5. How is the inflection point of a surface different from the critical point?

An inflection point is a point where the curvature changes, while a critical point is a point where the derivative of a function is equal to zero. In other words, the inflection point is where the second derivative is equal to zero, while the critical point is where the first derivative is equal to zero. However, a critical point can also be an inflection point if the second derivative at that point is also equal to zero.