Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation

In summary, Mac found that when T=2 the second derivative indeed equals zero, but his book is telling him the solution is when y=\frac{T}{2}. He substituted the first derivative back into the second and it was a long drawn out process that never revealed the correct solution for him. He asked for help from the group and they were able to figure it out using the implicit formula.
MacLaddy1
Hello all,

This is probably a simple question, but for some reason no matter how much I fight these figures I can't seem to make it work out correctly.

For many DE's the easiest way to pinpoint inflection points is not from the solution but from the DE itself. Find y'' by differentiating y', remembering to use the chain rule wherever y occurs. Then substitute for y' from the DE and set y''=0. Solve for y to find the inflection points (sometimes in terms of t).

$$y' = -r(1-\frac{y}{T})y$$
$$y' = -ry + \frac{ry^2}{T}$$
$$y'' = -ryy' + \frac{2ryy'}{T}$$
$$0 = -ryy' + \frac{2ryy'}{T}$$
$$ryy' = \frac{r}{T}2yy'$$
$$Tyy' = 2yy'$$
$$2 = T$$

So when T=2 the second derivative indeed equals zero. However, my book is telling me the solution is when $$y=\frac{T}{2}$$

I have substituted the first derivative back into the second, and it's a long drawn out process that never reveals the correct solution for me, and I didn't want to type it out if the solution is more obvious.

Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Thanks,
Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct here:

\(\displaystyle y'=-ry+\frac{r}{T}y^2\)

You made an error in differentiating, you want instead:

\(\displaystyle y''=-ry'+\frac{2r}{T}yy'=ry'\left(\frac{2}{T}y-1 \right)\)

Can you finish?

MarkFL said:
You are correct here:

\(\displaystyle y'=-ry+\frac{r}{T}y^2\)

You made an error in differentiating, you want instead:

\(\displaystyle y''=-ry'+\frac{2r}{T}yy'=ry'\left(\frac{2}{T}y-1 \right)\)

Can you finish?

Yes, I believe I can. However, before I try would you mind showing me why that first y is canceled and the second isn't? If you could do it in Leibniz notation I would be even more appreciative. I get mixed up when dealing with Newton's notation.

Thanks,
Mac

** Just tried anyway. That made things a whole lot simpler. Thanks

It boils down to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}(y)=\frac{dy}{dt}=y'\)

and

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(y^2 \right)=2y\frac{dy}{dt}=2yy'\)

MarkFL said:
It boils down to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}(y)=\frac{dy}{dt}=y'\)

and

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(y^2 \right)=2y\frac{dy}{dt}=2yy'\)

So it still is wrt "t." Could you use the implicit formula to figure this out.
$$-\frac{F_t}{F_y}?$$ I suppose not.

I think the best way is to use ordinary differentiation with respect to $t$.

MarkFL said:
I think the best way is to use ordinary differentiation with respect to $t$.

Thanks again.

Related to Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation

What is the Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation?

The Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation is a point on the graph where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa. It is also known as the point of inflection or the point of inflexion.

How is the Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation calculated?

The Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation can be calculated by setting the second derivative of the equation to zero and solving for the variable. This will give the x-coordinate of the inflection point.

Why is the Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation important?

The Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation is important because it helps us determine the critical value or threshold at which a system transitions from one state to another. This can have significant implications in various fields such as economics, biology, and engineering.

Can the Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation have multiple values?

Yes, the Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation can have multiple values if the equation has multiple inflection points. This can happen when the graph of the equation has more than one point where the curvature changes.

How is the Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation related to the concept of critical points?

The Inflection Point of the Threshold Equation is a type of critical point, where the second derivative of the equation is equal to zero. However, unlike other critical points such as local maximums or minimums, the inflection point represents a change in the direction of the curve rather than a peak or valley.