Inflection points theorem for quadratic functions.

In summary, the proof for finding inflection points in a quadratic equation leads to a direct link with the quadratic formula, as both expressions share similar terms. This further shows the relationship between the two equations and how they can be used interchangeably to solve for the roots of a quadratic equation.
zketrouble
Hey all,

I was bored as heck with my internet down and started scribbling some random math stuff. I'm sure what I've come up with is old news to most but I found some interesting properties in the following proof and I'm curious what my fellow physicsforums users can come up with to see what the causes are for the relationships between my proof and the age-old quadratic formula.

An inflection point occurs when the slope of a function equals zero. So for quadratic equations (and all other equations) of the form f'(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, f'(x) = 0 at inflection points.

d/dx ax^2 + bx + c = 0
2ax + b = 0
2ax = -b
x = -b/(2a).

It's interesting (though not at all surprising), that the terms in this are similar to what is seen in the quadratic formula -b +/- [(b^2 - 4ac)^1/2]/2a

Both expression have a -b and both have a 1/2a. Its not all that surprising that the two expressions would be related, but where is the direct link between the quadratic formula and the expression I came up with?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
zketrouble said:
Hey all,

I was bored as heck with my internet down and started scribbling some random math stuff. I'm sure what I've come up with is old news to most but I found some interesting properties in the following proof and I'm curious what my fellow physicsforums users can come up with to see what the causes are for the relationships between my proof and the age-old quadratic formula.

An inflection point occurs when the slope of a function equals zero. So for quadratic equations (and all other equations) of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, f'(x) = 0 at inflection points.
This is not true, although it might be a typo. A critical point for a function is where the derivative is 0 (or does not exist). An inflection point is where the derivative changes from increasing to decreasing and so occurs where the second derivative is 0 (or does not exist).

d/dx ax^2 + bx + c = 0
2ax + b = 0
2ax = -b
x = -b/(2a).

It's interesting (though not at all surprising), that the terms in this are similar to what is seen in the quadratic formula -b +/- [(b^2 - 4ac)^1/2]/2a

Both expression have a -b and both have a 1/2a. Its not all that surprising that the two expressions would be related, but where is the direct link between the quadratic formula and the expression I came up with?
Yes, for a parabola, the derivative is 0 only at the vertex- and you can find that by completing the square.
[tex]ax^2+ bx+ c= a(x^2+ (b/a)x+ c/a)= a(x^2+ (b/a)x+ (b^2/4a^2)- b^2/4a^2+ c/a)[/tex]
[tex]= a((x+ b/2a)^2+ c/a- b^2/4a^2)= a((x+ b/2a)^2- \frac{b^2- 4ac}{4a^2}[/tex]

Now, if a> 0, that is the number [itex](b^2- 4ac)/(4a^2)[/itex] plus something that is positive unless [itex]x+ b/2a= 0[/itex] and so has the value [itex]-(b^2- 4ac)/(4a^2)[/itex] as its minimum value at [itex]x= -b/2a[/itex]. If a< 0, it's turned over and that point is a maximum.

Of course, the quadratic formula comes from applying "completing the square" to [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] so you get similar results.

hey zketrouble! :smile:

(have a ± and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
zketrouble said:
… Both expression have a -b and both have a 1/2a. Its not all that surprising that the two expressions would be related, but where is the direct link between the quadratic formula and the expression I came up with?

ax2 + bx + c = 0

-> a[(x + b/2a)2 + (4ac - b2)/4a2] = 0 :wink:

HallsofIvy said:
This is not true, although it might be a typo. A critical point for a function is where the derivative is 0 (or does not exist). An inflection point is where the derivative changes from increasing to decreasing and so occurs where the second derivative is 0 (or does not exist).

Thanks for the correction, I always get the two mixed up :p

The roots of the quadratic equation are found at equal distance of the point where minimum/maximum value is obtained for ax^2 + bx +c meaning.

As you well computed for x = -b/2a you get the minimum/maximum value of ax^ + bx + c. This point is in the middle of the two roots therefore you have to substract a value D to find the first root and to add a value D to find the second root.

x1 = -b/2a - D
x2 = -b/2a + D

Thanks everybody! I was almost tearing my hair out in wondering the connection.

1. What is the Inflection Points Theorem for quadratic functions?

The Inflection Points Theorem states that a quadratic function has exactly one inflection point, which is the point where the concavity of the function changes. This means that the graph of a quadratic function will either be concave up or concave down, and there will be a specific point where it switches from one to the other.

2. How do you find the inflection point of a quadratic function?

To find the inflection point of a quadratic function, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c. This x-value will give you the coordinate of the inflection point on the graph.

3. Can a quadratic function have more than one inflection point?

No, according to the Inflection Points Theorem, a quadratic function can only have one inflection point. This is because the function changes concavity only once, from concave up to concave down or vice versa, and this change occurs at the inflection point.

4. What is the significance of the inflection point in a quadratic function?

The inflection point is significant because it marks the point where the function's concavity changes. This can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function and can help in finding the maximum or minimum point of the function.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Inflection Points Theorem for quadratic functions?

Yes, the Inflection Points Theorem is used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, it can be used to analyze the relationship between cost and profit in a business. In engineering, it can help in designing structures that can withstand varying forces. In physics, it can be used to study the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.