Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information Overload

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    With all the changes that constantly take place in the world, with technology, politics, environment, etc..., and the DETAILS of those changes presented by many, many sources of media, it's difficult to keep up with what is current.

I think if human beings were computers, under the current conditions our RAM would be always maxed out, our harddrive would be bogged-down with outdated files that should be deleted, and our CPU would need to be upgraded.

So, are human beings getting drained by too much information?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2
    I would be but I try not to retain anything I don't like

4. Nov 10, 2005 #3
    Talk about a quick reply. :surprised

I agree, but many individuals, whether they try or not, do retain info they do not want to retain.

5. Nov 10, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, it's only a problem for people who don't eat chocolate or drink caffeinated beverages. :tongue: :rofl:

6. Nov 10, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The human mind appears to be able to adapt quite well. Apparently we do not suffer from the physical constraints computers do.

7. Nov 10, 2005 #6
    see, this for example. I have no idea what my previous post said. Retention like a goldfish, a goldfish with alzheimers...on crack.

8. Nov 10, 2005 #7
    Uhhh...yeah. :yuck:

If that were true, I would be the first dude buying a Snickers and Coke.

Mind you, it's not like I never ate that stuff. In fact, I still remember the ad for Coke, which i drank, back in the early 80's with the crying Indian. That file/memory should have deleted a long time ago.

9. Nov 10, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

^this guy won funniest member of the year?^

10. Nov 10, 2005 #9
    I did? wow. I'd forgot

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  11. Nov 10, 2005 #10

Evo

That shouldn't prevent them from retaining new information, or specifically, important information.

Normally, non important information will go to some type of "storage", and on occasion it may bubble up. If a person has a problem where unimportant information remains active while important information gets stored, they may have a problem.

12. Nov 10, 2005 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

yes, amazing... (EDIT- to trib's post)

13. Nov 10, 2005 #12
    Chemistry alone makes me overload...

14. Nov 10, 2005 #13
    Moonbear, you've probably been saving that one for while to spring it on me at the right time, eh?

15. Nov 10, 2005 #14

Evo

Not necessarily. As long as you are able to remember recent events, having old memories recur is quite common.

There are people with brain damage that have lost their short term memory and can only remember the past.

16. Nov 10, 2005 #15
    I agree, but, while we do need new important information, we seem to be exposed to every little minute detail that comes with that new important information.

The news media makes its living by providing those details. And I sometimes think its at the expense of a calm mind.

It would be nice to be given the opportunity to CHOOSE to learn the details of the info, however impractical that scenario may be.

17. Nov 10, 2005 #16
    Just ask drew barrymore

and for the indian crying commercial it shouldn't have been deleted because you needed it just now to write that post.

18. Nov 10, 2005 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

you're so wise tribdog o_O

19. Nov 10, 2005 #18
    its a good idea, and you would think that we would suffer from overload, but it just doesn't seem to be the case. We seem to have too many safeguards built into our system. For example check out the optical illusion thread. Our brain filters out all that extra information perhaps so we don't overload.

20. Nov 10, 2005 #19
    Actually, you brought up a good point.

With all the advertising of products going on in the media, billions of dollars being spent to present you with thousands of TV ads, how many ads can an individual actually remember?

21. Nov 10, 2005 #20

Evo

For most people that isn't a problem, you remember the point, but the minute details get pushed to the back, so much so, that some people can't remember the minute details at all.

Are you experiencing some kind of problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?