Information Regarding Surface Modifiers

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on coatings that can produce wetting discontinuities in capillary tubes. The person mentions a 3M coating called "FC-723" and is looking for details or other similar coatings. They hope to create a table with different coatings and their respective water contact angles. It is mentioned that the chemical FC-723 is no longer produced, but there is a similar chemical called EGC-1702. The person is seeking information on this chemical as well.
MJCfromCT
Hi everyone,

I am doing research on flows in capillary tubes with wetting discontinuities, and I am needing to find some information on coatings that can produce these wetting discontinuities. I have come across some papers that mention a 3M coating "FC-723", and I was wondering if anyone knew of details regarding this coating, or if anyone knew where I could find information on other, similar coatings. In the end, I would ideally like to have a table with several different coatings, and, for example, the contact angle of a water drop that is placed on a surface which has these coatings. Thanks in advance!

*edit* this might be better off in the chemical engineering forum, but since I'm a ME, I figured i'd try here first. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, it has come to my attention that this chemical FC-723 is no longer produced, but that there is a similar chemical, EGC-1702. Anyone have any information?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your research topic with us. From my understanding, surface modifiers are materials that are applied to surfaces to alter their properties, such as wetting behavior. The 3M coating "FC-723" is a fluoropolymer coating that is commonly used for its non-stick and low friction properties. It is typically used in applications where there is a need for chemical resistance, high temperature resistance, or low surface energy. However, I am not sure if this specific coating can produce wetting discontinuities.

To find more information on this coating and other similar coatings, I would suggest reaching out to 3M directly or searching for academic papers that have used this coating in their research. Additionally, you can also try contacting other researchers in the field or attending conferences to learn more about different coatings and their properties.

I am not sure if there is a comprehensive table that includes different coatings and their contact angles with water drops, as the contact angle can vary depending on the surface roughness and other factors. However, you can find information on the contact angle of different coatings in academic papers or by conducting your own experiments.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Information Regarding Surface Modifiers

1. What are surface modifiers and what are their functions?

Surface modifiers are substances that are added to the surface of a material to improve or alter its properties. They can change the surface energy, wetting behavior, adhesion, and other surface characteristics to enhance the material's performance.

2. What types of materials can surface modifiers be used on?

Surface modifiers can be used on a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, ceramics, and composites. They can also be applied on different surfaces, such as flat, curved, and porous surfaces.

3. How are surface modifiers applied?

The application of surface modifiers depends on the type of modifier being used and the material it is being applied to. Some surface modifiers can be applied as a coating, while others can be mixed in with the material during manufacturing. Some may also require pre-treatment of the surface before application.

4. What are the benefits of using surface modifiers?

Surface modifiers can provide several benefits, such as improving the material's durability, resistance to corrosion and wear, and overall performance. They can also enhance the material's appearance, increase its adhesion to other materials, and make it easier to clean and maintain.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with surface modifiers?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling surface modifiers, as some may be hazardous chemicals. It is recommended to wear protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and to handle the modifiers in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe handling and disposal of the modifiers.