Why is Infrared Radiation the Most Effective for Thermal Effects?

In summary, the schoolbook states that infrared radiation has the most thermal effect because it is the radiation that is most absorbed by objects on Earth due to its emission being the highest. This is due to the quantum process of light and matter interaction and the division of the electromagnetic spectrum into different regions with different generation and detection methods. Infrared emissions are emitted by warm bodies and when absorbed, increase the temperature of the absorbing body. However, other types of radiation, such as gamma rays, can also have thermal effects by breaking bonds. The key factor is resonance, where certain frequencies have a larger effect than others.
PPonte
Why does my schoolbook say that infrared radiation is the electromagentic radiation with most thermal effect?

I thought that the more energetic a certain electromagnetic wave is, greater is her thermal effect.
It seems to me that infrared radiation is the electromagentic radiation with most thermal effect, because for the temperature that the objects on Earth are, it is the radiation whose percentage of absortion is greater, because the emition of this radiation is also the highest.

Physics news on Phys.org
The interaction of light and matter is a quantum process - meaning that it occurs in packets, it is not absorbed (or emitted) in continuous quantities. If you look at the spectra (emissions) emitted by atoms you will see spectral lines, indicating that the atoms emit only some enegies of light. Now the reverse is also true - the atoms only tend to absorb only the packets of light that they normally emit. The electromagnetic spectrum is divided into different regions each with different ways in which the rays are generated and detected like at one extreme we find radio waves generated by oscillating charges and at the other end we find gamma rays - extremely high energy electromagnetic waves which are created by oher processes. Matter alos responds differently when absorbing the different types of radiation - ultraviolet gives you a tan while microwaves makes water molecules oscillate to and fro. Infrared emissions are the emissions from bodies that are warm - anybody that is warm emits such radiations. When these emissions are emitted the heat energy escapes in packets from the body. When these packets are absorbed by other bodies they experience an increase in their temperature due to the absorption of the infrared radiation energy.

Last edited:
PPonte said:
Why does my schoolbook say that infrared radiation is the electromagentic radiation with most thermal effect?

I thought that the more energetic a certain electromagnetic wave is, greater is her thermal effect.
It seems to me that infrared radiation is the electromagentic radiation with most thermal effect, because for the temperature that the objects on Earth are, it is the radiation whose percentage of absortion is greater, because the emition of this radiation is also the highest.

It`s because different physical processes will lead to different types of electromagnetic waves. For example, atomic transitions in most atoms will lead to emission (or absorption) of UV, IR and visible wavelengths.

Many nuclear transitions lead to emission of gamma rays.

Now, atoms which are moving around due to thermal agitation emit mostly in the infrared (at ''normal'' temperatures...If you go to sevreal thousand Kelvins or beyond, thermal agitation will lead to visible wavelength emission or even UV and so on). This radiation is due to their thermal agitation and not to atomic transitions.

nrqed said:
It`s because different physical processes will lead to different types of electromagnetic waves. For example, atomic transitions in most atoms will lead to emission (or absorption) of UV, IR and visible wavelengths.

Many nuclear transitions lead to emission of gamma rays.

Now, atoms which are moving around due to thermal agitation emit mostly in the infrared (at ''normal'' temperatures...If you go to sevreal thousand Kelvins or beyond, thermal agitation will lead to visible wavelength emission or even UV and so on). This radiation is due to their thermal agitation and not to atomic transitions.

Just to add something: I have talked about emission but similar reasoning applies to absorption.

If the molecules in your hand are bombared with infrared radiation, it will tend to move them around, creating heat. If they are bombared with gamma rays (let`s say), the gamma rays will be tend to break the bonds and other nasty effects.

nrqed said:
If the molecules in your hand are bombared with infrared radiation, it will tend to move them around, creating heat. If they are bombared with gamma rays (let`s say), the gamma rays will be tend to break the bonds and other nasty effects.

Thank you. This was the precise point.
But look, although the gamma rays break bonds, will not they also heat my hand?

And if a beam of visible light is inciding in my hand? It will not break bonds. But it is not also true that it will heat my hand and not just more than an infrared beam would do, because an considering percentage of the photons will not be absorbed?

PPonte said:
Thank you. This was the precise point.
But look, although the gamma rays break bonds, will not they also heat my hand?

And if a beam of visible light is inciding in my hand? It will not break bonds. But it is not also true that it will heat my hand and not just more than an infrared beam would do, because an considering percentage of the photons will not be absorbed?

To get really to the core of the answer would invoke the phenomenon of resonance. Are you familiar with this?

The key point is that, sure, all wavelengths will create a little bit of thermal agitation. But a *large* effect is only produced by a certain range of wavelengths, in the IR part. Ìf you push and pull at certain frequency on a child on a swing, you will make it move back and forth. But certain frequencies will cause larger oscillation. It is not true that the faster you push and pull the higher the child will swing.

Patrick

nrqed said:
To get really to the core of the answer would invoke the phenomenon of resonance. Are you familiar with this?

The key point is that, sure, all wavelengths will create a little bit of thermal agitation. But a *large* effect is only produced by a certain range of wavelengths, in the IR part. Ìf you push and pull at certain frequency on a child on a swing, you will make it move back and forth. But certain frequencies will cause larger oscillation. It is not true that the faster you push and pull the higher the child will swing.

Patrick

Perfect. Thank you very much!

What is infrared radiation?

Infrared radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is not visible to the human eye, but can be felt as heat.

Why is infrared radiation the most effective for thermal effects?

Infrared radiation is the most effective for thermal effects because it has longer wavelengths that are able to penetrate deeper into materials, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This makes it ideal for heating and drying applications.

How does infrared radiation compare to other types of radiation for thermal effects?

Infrared radiation is more effective for thermal effects compared to other types of radiation, such as visible light or ultraviolet radiation. This is because infrared radiation has longer wavelengths, which means it can transfer more energy and generate more heat.

What are some common uses of infrared radiation for thermal effects?

Infrared radiation is commonly used in heating and drying applications, such as in infrared saunas, heating lamps, and industrial processes. It is also used in medical treatments, such as infrared therapy for pain relief.

Is infrared radiation harmful to humans?

Infrared radiation is generally not harmful to humans, as long as exposure is within safe levels. However, prolonged and intense exposure to infrared radiation can cause burns and damage to the skin. It is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when using infrared radiation for thermal effects.