Compute In-Band Irradiance with an Infrared Telescope

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of in-band irradiance on the focal plane of an infrared telescope, given certain specifications and a star's intensity. The suggested approach involves calculating the power entering the telescope and the size of the focused image. However, there are some caveats to consider, such as the use of different definitions of intensity in radiometric analysis.
user57304
I'm trying to remember back to my undergrad physics days. Can anyone point me to a good textbook to compute the following?

Given an infrared telescope with given specifications, such as the Infrared Astronomical Satellite and a star of defined intensity in the field of view at a specific point in time, how can I compute what the in-band irradiance on the focal plane would be?

Thanks for any references.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
First let me sketch out a basic analysis, then provide some caveats:

If you are given the source intensity, you can calculate the power (Watts) that enters the telescope. The star is imaged to a spot of defined size (given by the optical properties of the telescope), and so you can then determine W/area of the focused image.

Now the caveats: I noticed the words 'intensity' and 'irradiance' which implies a radiometric analysis, which uses a different definition of 'intensity' than you learned in intro physics. Intensity is Watt/steradian, and you characterize the telescope in terms of angular variables- what is the angular subtense of the star? This is different than calculating the incident irradiance from the star (which is Watt/area). Either way, if you can calculate the amount of power entering the telescope and the size of the image, you are basically done.

Does this help?

1. What is in-band irradiance?

In-band irradiance refers to the amount of energy per unit area that is received by an infrared telescope within a specific wavelength range. This can be measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or other similar units.

2. How is in-band irradiance calculated?

In-band irradiance is calculated by taking the total energy received by the telescope within a specific wavelength range and dividing it by the area of the telescope's aperture. The resulting value is the in-band irradiance.

3. Why is it important to compute in-band irradiance with an infrared telescope?

Computing in-band irradiance is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure and analyze the amount of energy emitted by infrared sources. This information can provide valuable insights into the physical properties and behaviors of these sources, such as stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects.

4. What factors can affect in-band irradiance measurements?

There are several factors that can affect in-band irradiance measurements, including atmospheric conditions, telescope optics, and the source's distance and brightness. It is important for scientists to carefully control and account for these factors in order to obtain accurate measurements.

5. How can in-band irradiance data be used in scientific research?

In-band irradiance data can be used in a variety of scientific research, including studies of stellar evolution, galaxy formation, and the composition of various celestial objects. It can also be used to determine the temperature and other physical characteristics of these objects, leading to a better understanding of the universe.