Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infrared Telescopes

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to remember back to my undergrad physics days. Can anyone point me to a good text book to compute the following?

Given an infrared telescope with given specifications, such as the Infrared Astronomical Satellite and a star of defined intensity in the field of view at a specific point in time, how can I compute what the in-band irradiance on the focal plane would be?

Thanks for any references.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First let me sketch out a basic analysis, then provide some caveats:

If you are given the source intensity, you can calculate the power (Watts) that enters the telescope. The star is imaged to a spot of defined size (given by the optical properties of the telescope), and so you can then determine W/area of the focused image.

Now the caveats: I noticed the words 'intensity' and 'irradiance' which implies a radiometric analysis, which uses a different definition of 'intensity' than you learned in intro physics. Intensity is Watt/steradian, and you characterize the telescope in terms of angular variables- what is the angular subtense of the star? This is different than calculating the incident irradiance from the star (which is Watt/area). Either way, if you can calculate the amount of power entering the telescope and the size of the image, you are basically done.

Does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook