Initial Value Problem (with y(0) ?)

In summary: I don't know what I was thinking.. Maybe I was thinking that C was 0, but then I realized that it wasn't so I just scratched it out.In summary, initial value problems involve finding the value of a function at a specific point given its derivative and an initial condition. This can be done by differentiating the function and solving for the constant of integration using the given initial condition. However, care must be taken when integrating as the independent variable must be correctly identified. Some differential equations are separable, meaning the variables can be separated and integrated separately, while others are non-separable and require different methods to solve.
kape
Initial Value Problem

I (kind of) understand how to do initial value problems. I know that if the problem is [tex] y' = x, y(4) = 3[/tex] then you just differentiate it, solve for y(4) and then replace the constant C (in the equation I differentiated) with this answer.

But what if the initial value is y(0) = 6??

The problem I am trying to do is:

[tex] y' = 36 + y^2 [/tex]

[tex]y(0) = 6 [/tex]

[tex] 0 < c < \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]

Differentiating, I get [tex] y = 36y + \frac{1}{3}y^3 + C[/tex].

But if I solve for y(0) = 6, then I get [tex] y = 36(0) + \frac{1}{3}(0)^3 + C[/tex].

But the answer can't be [tex] y = 36y + \frac{1}{3}y^3 + 6[/tex] - can it?!

And what is the significance of [tex] 0 < c < \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] - why is this needed?

I've been looking all over my calculus book, but I just don't understand how to do this. I am taking Engineering Mathematics (Kreyzig Book) and I can't help but feel that there is this large gap between this book and my calculus skills.. everything just looks so different.. *sigh*

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what an independent variable is, and what it means to integrate with respect to that?

No, I'm afraid not. Does it have anything to do with implicit differentiation?

x is your independent variable, y is your dependent.

Go back to your fallacious "integration" of the diff. eq.

On your left hand side, you have found the anti-derivative of y'(x) correctly, that is simply y(x).

But which variable have you integrated with respect to on your right hand side?
The dependent or the independent variable?

Thank you for telling me about the independent and dependent variable. It now rings a bell.

I just realized that I said differentiation instead of integration.

As you can see, I am hopelessly confused..

I have only encountered equations where (for dy/dx) there are x's on the right hand side. I have never encountered equations with y's and x's and, as in this case, only y's.

I.. don't really know where to start. What should I be thinking of doing?

Last edited:
You are right about the discrepancy between what you are trying to do and your calculus skills! Plan to spend a lot of time reviewing calculus.

In the first place, you aren't "differentiating", you are "integrating". And the integral of y with respect to x is not (1/2)y2: y is some function of x and without knowing what function you don't know how to integrate it- that's the whole point of differential equations!

Actually, the part you say you are stuck on- that you are given y(0) rather than y(4) is trivial- just use x= 0 instead of x= 4! However, the part that you think you can do is completely wrong.

Your equation is y'= 36+ y2. You might see it better if you wrote that as [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= 36+ y^2[/tex]. Separating into "differentials" [tex]dy= (36+ y^2)dx[/tex]. Now can you see that the right hand side has "dx" rather than "dy"? You can't just treat that as an integral. In this simple example, a "separable" equation in which x and y can be completely separated, however, you can write it as
[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2+ 36}= dx[/tex].
Can you integrate that (think "arctan")?

Once you've done that integration and have y as a function of x, with the constant of integration, set x= 0 and y= 6 to determine the constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
My god. You are a GOD. Thank you SO much. I feel as a mortal would feel when a god demonstrates his powers by parting the sea or something. I am finally liberated from hours of trying and failing to understand my textbook.

I thank you. From the bottom of my heart. You don't know how happy I feel right now!

:D

So to continue, it becomes

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{y^2+6^2} = \int dx [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{6}arctan\frac{y}{6} + C = x[/tex]

Then

[tex] C = x - \frac{1}{6}arctan\frac{6}{6} = 0 - \frac{1}{6} . \frac{\pi}{4} = - \frac{\pi}{24} [/tex]

But then.. if I do this, I come up with a different answer:

[tex] \frac{1}{6}arctan1 = x - C [/tex]

[tex] arctan1 = 6x - 6C [/tex]

[tex] arctan1 = 6(0) - C [/tex]

[tex] C = -arctan1 = - \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?!

Also, if you cannot separate the variables, what do you do? Do equataions that are not separable have a separate name?

Last edited:
kape said:

[tex] arctan1 = 6x - 6C [/tex]

[tex] arctan1 = 6(0) - C [/tex] WHERE DID YOUR 6C TERM GO TO??

[tex] C = -arctan1 = - \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?!

Separable differential equations constitute a subset of differential equations.
Differential equations that are not separable are called..non-separable.

kape said:
My god. You are a GOD. Thank you SO much. I feel as a mortal would feel when a god demonstrates his powers by parting the sea or something. I am finally liberated from hours of trying and failing to understand my textbook.

I thank you. From the bottom of my heart. You don't know how happy I feel right now!

:D

Woah! My sarcasm detector is going off big time!

No, no, no! Though I am fairly sarcastic at times, I assure you I was NOT sarcastic this time! I realize that I did overdo it a little bit, but I really was overwhelmed with joy! You don't know how happy I was to be liberated from hours of frustration... and to be able to solve a question in this awful book for once! I also recognise you from helping me out a few days ago.. And most probably, I will need your help again in the future! (I have a very long and hard term ahead of me..) I don't think I'd be sarcastic, even if i wanted to - and this book has a way of humbling people like me. But seriously, I was, and still am very grateful! :)

As for the 6C.. I thought that anything multiplied with a constant, remains a constant. I've seen this in my calculus book.. Does it not apply in this situation? Though, yes, I now understand that it is that 6C that is the difference between the two versions..

Last edited:
I also encountered something new and I'm not sure what to do:

The problem is:

[tex] y' = \frac{1-7y-49x}{1+y+7x} [/tex]

with [tex] \inline y^2(1)=7 [/tex] using [tex] \inline (y + 7x = v) [/tex]

I've managed this so far:

[tex] v'-7 = \frac{1-7v}{1+v} [/tex]

[tex] v' = \frac{-7(1+v)}{1+v} + \frac{8}{1+v} + 7 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{8}{1+v} [/tex]

[tex] \int (1 + v) dv = \int 8 dx [/tex]

[tex] v + \frac{1}{2}v^2 = 8x + C [/tex]

But how do I plug that into [tex] (y = v - 7x) [/tex] to get the constant?!

How do I reduce [tex] v + \frac{1}{2}v^2 = 8x + C [/tex] for a single v?

Assuming you have calculated correctly,
solve for v(x) using the quadratic formula.

Oh! But... doesn't a quadratic equation have to be in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0; doesn't it have to equal zero?

How do I do it if it equals 8x?

Could you tell me about the 6C = C bit from the previous equation? I'm running into a lot of equations where I have to multiply a constant, and it is very important for me to know whether 6C = C or 6C = 6C (so that if it is 6C = 2, then C = 2/6)..

Last edited:
As for the "C"-thing:
Different C's are for y-functions with different initial conditions than yours, but fulfilling the same differential equation.

C is fixed for a particular solution of the diff. eq.

As for the quadratic formula:
Write this as:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^{2}+v+(B-8x)=0 (B=-C)[/tex]

That is:
[tex]v=-1\pm\sqrt{1-2(B-8x)}[/tex]
The constant B is determined from initial conditions.

I'm sorry, I've suddenly seen that you've made a total mess of evaluating your initial condition earlier. I'll post a reply later.

kape said:

What ARE you doing here? x equals zero here!
So, you've got:
[tex]\frac{1}{6}arctan(1)=-C\to{C}=-\frac{\pi}{24}[/tex]

1. What is an Initial Value Problem (IVP)?

An IVP is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation, given an initial condition or value for the dependent variable. It is often used to model real-world situations in science and engineering.

2. How is an IVP different from a Boundary Value Problem (BVP)?

An IVP requires only one initial condition, while a BVP requires multiple conditions at different points. In an IVP, the solution is determined by the initial condition and the differential equation, while in a BVP, the solution is determined by the boundary conditions and the differential equation.

3. What is the importance of specifying y(0) in an IVP?

The initial condition y(0) is crucial in an IVP because it serves as the starting point for the solution. It helps to determine a unique solution to the differential equation and is often based on the known physical conditions of the problem being modeled.

4. How is y(0) related to the slope of the solution curve?

The initial condition y(0) is related to the slope of the solution curve at the point (0, y(0)). This is because the slope of the solution curve at any point is determined by the derivative of the function at that point, and the value of the function at (0, y(0)) is used to calculate the derivative at that point.

5. Can an IVP have more than one solution?

No, an IVP can only have one unique solution. This is because the initial condition y(0) determines the starting point for the solution, and the differential equation determines the behavior of the solution curve. Therefore, there can only be one solution that satisfies both the initial condition and the differential equation.