Injective/Surjective Functions

• Thread starter dpa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the minimum function defined by f(a,b)=min{a,b} is not injective, as shown by the example f(2,3) and f(3,2) both giving 2. However, it is surjective when the codomain is defined as the set of all integers, as for any integer n, two integers can be found such that the smallest of the two is n. An example of this would be min(100,100)=100. Therefore, the function is surjective.
dpa

Homework Statement

Is the minimum function defined by f(a,b)=min{a,b} surjective or injective?

Homework Equations

a function is injective f(x)=f(y) always implies x=y.
a function is surjective if for every y in codomain, there exists an x in domain such that f(x)=y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused whether min is surjective function or not.
As for injective, it is not. e.g. f(2,3) and f(3,2) both give 2. This is sufficient to say it is not injective.
But it is surjective, which I am mostly sure, but how do I show it is surjective?

Physics news on Phys.org
And, is the following the right way to show that the function is surjective?
f(x)=y,
x=f^-1(y)
f(f^-1(y))=x
Is this why it is called right invertible?

dpa said:
I am confused whether min is surjective function or not.
As for injective, it is not. e.g. f(2,3) and f(3,2) both give 2. This is sufficient to say it is not injective.
But it is surjective, which I am mostly sure, but how do I show it is surjective?
You're correct that it is not injective. Whether or not it is surjective depends on the codomain. Since the codomain is not specified here, there's no way to answer the question. Any function is surjective if you define its codomain to be its image.

Sorry, that I forgot the first part.
It is defined for all f:ZXZ gives z. So c0 domain is set of all integers.
I am supposed to prove it not just explain.

Thank You.

dpa said:
Sorry, that I forgot the first part.
It is defined for all f:ZXZ gives z. So c0 domain is set of all integers.
I am supposed to prove it not just explain.

Thank You.

OK, that makes it easy to answer whether the function is surjective. Given an arbitrary integer n, can you find two integers, a and b, such that min(a, b) = n?

Yes, definitely I mean for any integer, that's possible unless n=infinity which I believe does not belong to Z.
So, does verbal proof suffice?

Thank You.
:-)

dpa said:
Yes, definitely I mean for any integer, that's possible unless n=infinity which I believe does not belong to Z.
So, does verbal proof suffice?

Thank You.
:-)

Right, Z is the set of all integers. Infinity is not an integer.

Why don't you write down your proposed verbal proof and we'll see how it looks. Ideally (for the surjective part), can you name specific values for a and b such that min(a,b) = n?

Verbal Part:
We know that for any value of an integer, we can find two integers such that the smallest of those two integers is the first integer. i.e. for every integer n we can write integers n and n+a where, a>=0. which gives min{n,n+a}=n.
Specific example would be for n=100, we can write two integers 100 and 101. I doubt if it is ideal example.

Yes, that works. Note that there's nothing requiring the two integers to be different from each other. You also have min(n, n) = n.

Thank You.

1. What is an injective function?

An injective function is a type of function in which each element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the range. In other words, no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range. This is also known as a one-to-one function.

2. How can I tell if a function is injective?

To determine if a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line can intersect the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not injective. Another way to tell is by using algebra to solve for x in f(x)=f(x'). If x and x' are different, then the function is injective.

3. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function is a type of function in which every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, there are no "leftover" elements in the range that are not mapped to by any element in the domain. This is also known as an onto function.

4. How can I tell if a function is surjective?

To determine if a function is surjective, you can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line can intersect the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not surjective. Another way to tell is by checking if every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain.

5. What is the difference between an injective and surjective function?

The main difference between an injective and surjective function is the way they map elements from the domain to the range. In an injective function, each element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the range, while in a surjective function, every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. Another way to think of it is that an injective function has no repeated outputs, while a surjective function has no leftover outputs.