Inner product of random Gaussian vector

In summary, the question being asked is whether the source distribution of a Gaussian model will remain the same if we take the inner product of a random vector with a constant vector. The intuition is that since the inner product is a scaling operation, it should not change the distribution. This is true when multiplying a random variable by a constant, but the question is whether it applies to the inner product as well. The response is that by definition, if a random vector has a multivariate normal distribution, then the inner product with a constant vector will also be normally distributed.
architect
Hi,

I would like to ask a question please.

Assume we have a random vector [tex]X[/tex] that is distributed under the Gaussian model and take the inner product of this vector and another constant vector [tex]d[/tex]. Will the source distribution (Gaussian) remain the same? My intuition (although I might be wrong) says yes since the inner product may be regarded as a scaling operation. I know that this is true when we multiply a random variable with a constant, I just wonder if it applies to the inner product as well.

BR,

Alex.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
architect said:
Hi,

I would like to ask a question please.

Assume we have a random vector [tex]X[/tex] that is distributed under the Gaussian model and take the inner product of this vector and another constant vector [tex]d[/tex]. Will the source distribution (Gaussian) remain the same? My intuition (although I might be wrong) says yes since the inner product may be regarded as a scaling operation. I know that this is true when we multiply a random variable with a constant, I just wonder if it applies to the inner product as well.

BR,

Alex.

By definition if a random vector x[tex]=x_1+x_2+...+x_n[/tex] has a multivariate normal distribution, then the inner product y=<a,x>, where a is a constant vector:

y[tex]=a_{1}x_{1}+a_{2}x_{2},+...+a_{n}x_{n}[/tex] is normally distributed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Appreciated!

BR,

Alex

What is an inner product of a random Gaussian vector?

An inner product of a random Gaussian vector is a mathematical operation that takes two random Gaussian vectors and returns a scalar value. It is a measure of the similarity between the two vectors and is often used in statistics and machine learning.

How is the inner product of a random Gaussian vector calculated?

The inner product of two random Gaussian vectors is calculated by taking the dot product of the two vectors and then multiplying it by the standard deviation of the vectors.

Why is the inner product of a random Gaussian vector important?

The inner product of a random Gaussian vector is important because it allows us to measure the similarity between two vectors, even if they have different scales or dimensions. It is also a key component in many statistical and machine learning algorithms.

What is the difference between an inner product and a cross product?

An inner product takes two vectors and returns a scalar value, while a cross product takes two vectors and returns a vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. The inner product is used to measure similarity, while the cross product is used to calculate the area or volume of a parallelogram or parallelepiped.

Can the inner product of a random Gaussian vector be negative?

Yes, the inner product of a random Gaussian vector can be negative. This means that the two vectors are pointing in different directions or are dissimilar. A positive inner product indicates that the two vectors are pointing in the same direction or are similar.