Investigating Inconsistencies in Strogatz's Nonlinear Dynamics Book

In summary, Strogatz's Nonlinear and Dynamics book states that $\langle\sin^{2n}\rangle = \frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdots (2n-1)}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\cdots 2n}$ for $n\geq 1$ but $\langle\sin^6\rangle = \frac{5}{16}\neq\frac{15}{48}$. However, the difference between these two values is explained by the presence of the imaginary unit in the denominator of the latter equation.
Dustinsfl
Strogatz's Nonlinear and Dynamics book states that
$$
\langle\sin^{2n}\rangle = \frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdots (2n-1)}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\cdots 2n}
$$
for $n\geq 1$.
However, $\langle\sin^6\rangle = \frac{5}{16}\neq\frac{15}{48}$.

What is the deal here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\langle\sin^{2n}\rangle = \frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdots (2n-1)}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\cdots 2n}
$$
for $n\geq 1$.
However, $\langle\sin^6\rangle = \frac{5}{16}\neq\frac{15}{48}$.

What is the deal here?
Ummm...
[tex]\frac{5}{16} = \frac{15}{48}[/tex]

Or do we need numerator and denominator to be relatively prime? In that case they are not "equal"?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Ummm...
[tex]\frac{5}{16} = \frac{15}{48}[/tex]

Or do we need numerator and denominator to be relatively prime? In that case they are not "equal"?

-Dan

I apparently can't do math.

So I looked at
$$
\left\langle\left(\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}\right)^6\right\rangle = -\frac{5}{16}
$$
The rest is zero due the inner product. So why am I getting a negative with this method when it should be a positive?

dwsmith said:
So I looked at
$$
\left\langle\left(\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}\right)^6\right\rangle = -\frac{5}{16}
$$
The rest is zero due the inner product. So why am I getting a negative with this method when it should be a positive?

Hi dwsmith, :)

Well I think you are missing the imaginary unit that should be in the denominator.

\[\sin{x}=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

dwsmith said:
$$
$$
for $n\geq 1$.

How is this proved?

dwsmith said:
$$
$$

for $n\geq 1$...

How is this proved?...

First it is usefule to discuss a bit about what You mean as 'inner product'. According to...

Inner Product -- from Wolfram MathWorld

... in the space of real functions the 'inner product' of two functions f(*) and g(*) is defined as...

$\displaystyle \langle f(x) , g(x) \rangle = \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\ g(x)\ dx$ (1)

In the case of $f(x)=g(x)= \sin^{n} x$, $a=0$ and $b=\frac{\pi}{2}$ is...

$\displaystyle \langle f(x) , g(x) \rangle = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{2 n} x\ dx = \frac{ 1\cdot 3\cdot 5\ ...\ (2n-1)}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\ ...\ 2n}\ \frac{\pi}{2}$ (2)

You arrive at (2) using iteratively the integration by part...

$\displaystyle \int \sin^{m} x\ dx = - \frac{\sin^{m-1} x \cos x}{n} + \frac{m-1}{m}\ \int \sin^{m-1} x\ dx$ (3)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

1. What is the purpose of investigating inconsistencies in Strogatz's Nonlinear Dynamics book?

The purpose of investigating inconsistencies in Strogatz's Nonlinear Dynamics book is to ensure that the information presented in the book is accurate and reliable. By identifying and addressing any inconsistencies, we can improve the overall quality and credibility of the book.

2. How do inconsistencies in the book affect its readers?

Inconsistencies in the book can confuse and mislead readers, potentially leading to incorrect understanding and application of nonlinear dynamics principles. This can hinder their ability to properly utilize the information presented in the book.

3. How can inconsistencies in the book be identified?

Inconsistencies can be identified through careful reading and comparison of the information presented in the book with other reliable sources. Additionally, conducting experiments and simulations based on the concepts presented in the book can also reveal any inconsistencies.

4. What steps should be taken to address inconsistencies in the book?

The first step is to thoroughly document and present the identified inconsistencies to the author or publisher. This can be followed by discussions and collaborations to resolve the issues and make necessary corrections in future editions of the book. Additionally, readers can also provide feedback and suggestions for improvements.

5. Can inconsistencies in the book be completely eliminated?

While efforts can be made to minimize and address inconsistencies, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate them as new research and advancements in the field can lead to different interpretations and understandings of nonlinear dynamics. However, with regular updates and revisions, the accuracy and consistency of the book can be improved over time.