1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous velocity in a graph

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://homework.sdmesa.edu/cmona/195/MP195AFiles/1%20linear%20kinematics%20lab.pdf [Broken]
    That is the link to my lab.
    My question is on page 5:
    Plot instantaneous velocity as a function of time.
    Recall that your data only indicates the average velocity of the glider for each time interval and that
    for constant acceleration, the instantaneous velocity of the glider at the middle of each time interval is
    equal to the average velocity of the glider during that time interval
    Plot the instantaneous velocities of the glider as a function of time. Remember that your first velocity
    occurs at 0.05s, and the next is at 0.15s, 0.25s, …etc.

My data:
    X(CM)-T(S)
    0-0
    4.9 - .1
    10.8 - .2
    17.5 - .3
    25.2 - .4
    33.8 - .5
    43.3 - .6
    54.1 - .7
    65.1 - .8
    77.3 - .9
    90.2 -1.0
    104.2 - 1.1
    119.2 - 1.2
    134.9 - 1.3
    151.7 - 1.4

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea how to graph the instantaneous velocity, I tried and tried, but for some reason the graph i get is a curve, a very steep curve, i was told it should be more of a line. This curve also screws up later calculation in the same lab.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried following the instruction, from what I understand, using my first graph points. I take the .15s and trace it and see what velocity I get and use that as my instantaneous velocity... I know that is wrong because every time I try that my numbers are way off!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted