Instantanious center of rotation problems

Thank you.In summary, the problem asks for the instantaneous center of rotation for a rigid body with given values for OA, AB, AD, BC, and ωOA. The solution involves using the equation Vb=ωCB*BC and assuming that AB is the top side of a parallelogram. It is determined that the center of rotation at this instant is infinite due to the parallel and same direction velocities of Vb and Vd. It is also concluded that the instantaneous center of rotation for member BC is at point C when drawing perpendicular lines to the vectors Vb and Vc.
Devtycoon

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://i61.tinypic.com/10dwmtv.
what is the instantaneous center of rotation for the rigid body.

OA = 16
AB = 25
AD = 60
BC = 35
ωOA=2s-1

Homework Equations

VbCB*BC

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming the values angles and vectors from red because I think the problem is impossible to solve without assuming AB is the top side of a parallelogram. I determined the velocity of A by the same relevant equation. If my assumption is correct Vb and Vd move in the same velocity and direction. since they are parallel and in the same direction the center of rotation at this instant is infinite and therefore AD has translational motion. BC is not translational but piston C is translational. It seems the instantaneous center of rotation for member BC is at point C when i draw perpendicular lines to the vectors Vb and Vc. Any ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

What is the "Instantaneous Center of Rotation"?

The instantaneous center of rotation is a term used in physics and engineering to describe the point in a rotating body that has zero velocity at a specific instant in time. It is the point around which all other points in the body appear to be rotating.

How is the "Instantaneous Center of Rotation" calculated?

The instantaneous center of rotation is calculated by finding the intersection point of two lines drawn perpendicular to the velocity vectors of two points on the rotating body. This point is also the center of the circle that the body appears to be rotating around.

What is the significance of the "Instantaneous Center of Rotation" in mechanics?

The instantaneous center of rotation is an important concept in mechanics because it allows us to analyze the motion of a rotating body at a specific instant in time. It can help us determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on the body, as well as the angular velocity and acceleration of the body.

How does the "Instantaneous Center of Rotation" relate to angular velocity?

The instantaneous center of rotation and angular velocity are directly related. The instantaneous center of rotation is the point around which the body appears to be rotating at a specific instant, and the angular velocity is the rate at which the body is rotating around that point.

Can the "Instantaneous Center of Rotation" change during rotation?

Yes, the instantaneous center of rotation can change during rotation. This typically occurs when the body undergoes non-uniform rotation, meaning that different parts of the body have different angular velocities. In this case, the instantaneous center of rotation can change to reflect the changing rotation of the body.