Instantanious Communication possible?

In summary, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, even at great distances. Despite the potential for instantaneous communication, it is not possible to use entangled particles for this purpose because passive observation of a quantum system is impossible. However, there are tests that can be done to demonstrate quantum entanglement, such as showing perfect correlations between entangled particles.
Rob060870
Quantum entanglement

Could somone explain to me the following questions please?

Is it possible for instantaneous communication to occur using entangled particles?.
i have heard that it cannot be done because you are not allowed to know information about both the position and the speed of a particle at the same time, however do you really need to know them both?.i have heard the argument If I measure the spin of an entangled electron, yes it communicates the value somehow to its twin — but I can’t use it. I had no idea what the spin was going to be but if that is the case then how did we prove that Quantum entanglement exists?

if one particle is stimulated as long as you can detect a wobble on the other particle could that be enough to make it work? if not why not!

how can a particle communicate instantaniously with another no matter how far they are appart when we know there is no absolute time in the universe?

if anyone can enlighten me on these questions i would be very greatfull

thankyou everyone for all of your input much appreciated
Robert

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reason instantaneous communication is impossible by the method you suggest is that "passive" observation of a quantum system is impossible. You must actively measure a quantum system to observe it. Under these circumstances, it is impossible for a potential receiver of such a message to know if the "wobble" she sees upon measuring her side of the entangled pair was imbued by some putative sender's action, or by her own act of measurement. In order to be sure, she would need to receive a "normal" (I.e. slower than light) message to tell the difference.

@Rob060870: I'm asking this for my own academic interest, but would you mind telling me if it was the game 'Mass Effect 2' which prompted you to ask this question? I've noted a sudden surge of interest in the topic in some areas (here less than others), and I think the two coincide.

Rob060870 said:
Quantum entanglement

Could somone explain to me the following questions please?

Is it possible for instantaneous communication to occur using entangled particles?.
i have heard that it cannot be done because you are not allowed to know information about both the position and the speed of a particle at the same time, however do you really need to know them both?.i have heard the argument If I measure the spin of an entangled electron, yes it communicates the value somehow to its twin — but I can’t use it. I had no idea what the spin was going to be but if that is the case then how did we prove that Quantum entanglement exists?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Rob060870!

There are a series of tests that can be done to show quantum entanglement. For spin/polarization, you demonstrate the so-called "perfect" correlations on a pair of entangled particles. Unentangled particles do not show such statistics with rotational invariance (i.e. at any angle setting).

Frame Dragger said:
@Rob060870: I'm asking this for my own academic interest, but would you mind telling me if it was the game 'Mass Effect 2' which prompted you to ask this question? I've noted a sudden surge of interest in the topic in some areas (here less than others), and I think the two coincide.

Hello i have never played Mass Effect2 so that was not the reason why i asked that question. when reading about entanglement it sounds so amazing that the pair of particles can communicate instantaniously i was thinking of controlling a Mars rover with no time lag!.
thanks for your interest.
Robert

SpectraCat said:
The reason instantaneous communication is impossible by the method you suggest is that "passive" observation of a quantum system is impossible. You must actively measure a quantum system to observe it. Under these circumstances, it is impossible for a potential receiver of such a message to know if the "wobble" she sees upon measuring her side of the entangled pair was imbued by some putative sender's action, or by her own act of measurement. In order to be sure, she would need to receive a "normal" (I.e. slower than light) message to tell the difference.

thankyou for explaining that for me.
much appreciated.
Robert

DrChinese said:

There are a series of tests that can be done to show quantum entanglement. For spin/polarization, you demonstrate the so-called "perfect" correlations on a pair of entangled particles. Unentangled particles do not show such statistics with rotational invariance (i.e. at any angle setting).

Thankyou for your reply, i will have to read more on the subject.
Robert

DrChinese said:

thankyou for taking the time to explain this to me, its a shame that we cannot have instantanious communication by this method.
Robert

SpectraCat said:

thankyou for explaining that for me, i have had a really good response to this question.
Robert

Rob060870 said:
Hello i have never played Mass Effect2 so that was not the reason why i asked that question. when reading about entanglement it sounds so amazing that the pair of particles can communicate instantaniously i was thinking of controlling a Mars rover with no time lag!.
thanks for your interest.
Robert

Thanks very much for answering Rob! I'm just trying to keep track for my own benefit. I can see why the dream of no lag between a rover and Earth would be so desirable... alas 'c' strikes again. :wink:

1. Is instantaneous communication possible in real life?

Currently, instantaneous communication through traditional methods such as phone calls and messaging is limited by the speed of light. However, there are ongoing efforts and advancements in quantum communication technology that could potentially enable instantaneous communication in the future.

2. How does instantaneous communication work?

Instantaneous communication relies on the principle of quantum entanglement, where two particles become connected in a way that any change in one particle instantaneously affects the other, regardless of distance. This allows for the transfer of information between the particles at the speed of light, enabling near-instantaneous communication.

3. Can instantaneous communication be used for long-distance communication?

Yes, instantaneous communication through quantum entanglement can potentially be used for long-distance communication. This technology is still in its early stages and more research and development is needed to make it a practical and reliable method for long-distance communication.

4. What are the benefits of instantaneous communication?

The main benefit of instantaneous communication is the ability to transmit information at the speed of light, which is significantly faster than traditional methods. This can have a wide range of applications, from improved internet and telecommunications to more secure and efficient communication in fields such as finance and government.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks of instantaneous communication?

One potential drawback of instantaneous communication is the potential for security breaches and hacking. As this technology is still in its early stages, there are also concerns about its reliability and scalability. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations surrounding the use of quantum entanglement for communication.