Instrument or method to analyze Si and SiO2 powder

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the conversion of Si to SiO2 in a powder containing Si, SiO2, Fe3O4, FeO and Fe. The speaker is looking for an instrument or method to accurately measure the composition. Another speaker suggests using a Thermo Gravimetric Analyzer to calculate weight loss at different temperatures and determine the weight of each component. However, this method may not be completely accurate.
frankythebro
Hii...

I have a powder that consists of Si, SiO2, Fe3O4, FeO and Fe. I really want to measure the conversion of Si to SiO2. Anybody know what kind of instrument or method that can be used to measure the composition?

Engineering news on Phys.org
need answer...

Code:
I really want to measure the conversion
I thing you mean Yield.

I have an idea it may works but it is not accurate.
If you have evaporation temperature for every component you can insert your sample in Thermo Gravimetric Analyzer which is an instrument that calculate change in weight vs temperature and it can go up to 1500 degree celsius. Now,by knowing evaporation temperature for every component and weight loss during heating process then you can find the weight of every component.

1. What is the most commonly used instrument for analyzing Si and SiO2 powder?

The most commonly used instrument for analyzing Si and SiO2 powder is a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). This instrument uses a focused beam of electrons to scan the sample surface and produce high-resolution images.

2. How does X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) help in analyzing Si and SiO2 powder?

X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) is a technique used to analyze the crystal structure of a material. By directing X-rays at the Si and SiO2 powder, the diffraction pattern produced can provide information about the phases present, crystal structure, and orientation of the sample.

3. What is the significance of Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy in the analysis of Si and SiO2 powder?

Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy is a technique used to identify and characterize chemical bonds in a sample. It can provide information about the functional groups present in the Si and SiO2 powder, aiding in its analysis.

4. Are there any non-destructive methods for analyzing Si and SiO2 powder?

Yes, there are non-destructive methods for analyzing Si and SiO2 powder such as Raman spectroscopy and Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDS). These techniques do not require altering the sample and can provide valuable information about its composition.

5. What are the key considerations when choosing an instrument or method for analyzing Si and SiO2 powder?

Some key considerations when choosing an instrument or method for analyzing Si and SiO2 powder include the type of information needed, the sensitivity and resolution required, and the sample preparation method. It is also important to consider the cost and availability of the instrument or method.