How do I solve a uniform motion problem without knowing the distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two freight trains traveling at different speeds and trying to find the distance of their trip. The solution involves setting up equations for each train and solving for either velocity.
Richay
Okay so "The fast freight completed the trip in 10 hours while the slow freight needed 12 hours for the same trip. How long (distance) was the trip if the fast freight train was 10 kph faster than the slow freight?"

These are uniform motion problems at egual distance (which aren't difficult because I got all my other problems correct), but how am i suppose to solve for the distance? They don't give you a distance to start off with, do i make it up or is their a formula to find it?

All they gave me about distance was that the fast freight was "10kph" faster.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Set up some equations for each train. Say the slow freight has velocity [itex]v_s[/itex] and the fast freight has velocity [itex]v_f[/itex].

[itex]
\begin{gathered}
d = v_s \cdot (12\,{\text{hours)}} \hfill \\
d = v_f \cdot (10\,{\text{hours)}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
[/itex]

Now, since the same distance was covered, you can set the two equations equal to each other, and distance "disappears":

[itex]
v_s \cdot (12\,{\text{hours)}} = v_f \cdot (10\,{\text{hours)}}
[/itex]

And you know that [itex]v_f[/itex] = [itex]v_s + 10[/itex]

Now you can solve for either velocity.

- Warren

Thanks for the explenation

What is "insufficient information"?

"Insufficient information" refers to a lack of data or evidence that prevents a conclusion from being drawn or a hypothesis from being fully tested.

How can "insufficient information" affect scientific research?

"Insufficient information" can hinder the progress of scientific research by limiting the ability to make accurate predictions or draw meaningful conclusions.

What are some common causes of "insufficient information" in scientific studies?

Some common causes of "insufficient information" in scientific studies include limited sample sizes, flawed experimental design, and incomplete or biased data collection.

How do scientists address "insufficient information" in their research?

Scientists may address "insufficient information" by conducting further studies, expanding their sample size, improving their experimental design, or seeking out additional sources of data.

How can the presence of "insufficient information" be avoided in scientific studies?

The presence of "insufficient information" can be minimized by carefully planning and designing experiments, conducting thorough data collection and analysis, and seeking out multiple sources of evidence to support conclusions.