I know everything to do on this problem except one thing

In summary: You might make a good guess that ##r_A## is the distance from <somewhere> to <somewhere else>. Yes, if so, then the formula for calculating the distance from <somewhere> to <somewhere else> will be important.
flamebane
Homework Statement
Two charged particles A (qA = 2.86 𝜇C) and B (qB = 1.47 𝜇C) are fixed in place along the x-axis at 𝑥 = ±3.38 cm, respectively. If a third charged particle C (qC = 3.92 𝜇C and mass mC = 10.21 mg) is released from rest on the y-axis at y = 2.57 cm, what will the speed of particle C be when it reaches 𝑦 = 4.43 cm? Answer in m/s
Relevant Equations
principle of conservation of energy
KE
Even though I have all the formulas needed to do this problem, I cant figure out how to get rA, rB and rA' aswell as rB'

Physics news on Phys.org
flamebane said:
Even though I have all the formulas needed to do this problem, I cant figure out how to get rA, rB and rA' aswell as rB'
You could start by showing us the formulas that you plan to use. But perhaps we need to back up a step. Can you explain your strategy? What formulas are justified by the physical situation? Please provide that justification.

Then you would be in a position to explain what ##r_A##, ##r_B##, ##r_A'## and ##r_B'## are.

[And we might be in a position to recommend the Pythagorean theorem]

jbriggs444 said:
You could start by showing us the formulas that you plan to use. But perhaps we need to back up a step. Can you explain your strategy? What formulas are justified by the physical situation? Please provide that justification.
My strategy is to first find all the potential and kinetic energy of particles A and B, then C. then using the principle of conservation of energy to find V.

flamebane said:
My strategy is to first find all the potential and kinetic energy of particles A and B, then C. then using the principle of conservation of energy to find V.
I know what the r's mean I just dont really know how I'm ment to get it, would I use the distance formula?

flamebane said:
Then start by writing some equations for the potential and kinetic energies. If there are quantities that you don't know how to express, point them out. A diagram should help.

Likes MatinSAR and jbriggs444
flamebane said:
I know what the r's mean I just dont really know how I'm ment to get it, would I use the distance formula?
You may know what the r's mean. But we do not. Because you have not told us.

I could make a good guess that ##r_A## is the distance from <somewhere> to <somewhere else>. Yes, if so, then the formula for calculating the distance from <somewhere> to <somewhere else> will be important.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and MatinSAR

What is the one thing that I am missing in solving this problem?

The answer to this question will depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve. It could be a missing piece of information, a step in the process, or a different approach that needs to be considered.

How can I figure out the missing piece of information?

There are a few ways to figure out the missing piece of information. You can try researching or consulting with others who may have knowledge about the problem. You can also try experimenting or trial and error to see if you can find the missing information through different methods.

What should I do if I can't figure out the missing piece?

If you are unable to figure out the missing piece of information, it may be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts or seeking help from a colleague or mentor.

Is it important to solve every problem perfectly?

No, it is not always important to solve every problem perfectly. Sometimes, it is more important to find a solution that is practical and efficient, even if it is not perfect. Additionally, mistakes and failures can lead to valuable learning opportunities.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are many ways to improve your problem-solving skills, such as practicing regularly, seeking feedback and advice from others, and learning from your mistakes. You can also try approaching problems from different perspectives and using different strategies to find solutions.