Can You Find Real Roots in an Integer Polynomial Using Calculus?

In summary, to determine whether an integer coefficient single variable polynomial has at least one real root, we can consider the degree and coefficients of the polynomial. For odd degree polynomials with real coefficients, there must be at least one real root. For quadratic polynomials, the discriminant must be non-negative. For higher even degree polynomials, Sturm sequences can be used. The general case requires elementary calculus and can be difficult to solve.
Dragonfall
I'll try my luck here:

How do you determine whether an integer coefficient single variable polynomial has at least one real root?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
if the order is odd and coefficients are real?

Dragonfall said:
I'll try my luck here:

How do you determine whether an integer coefficient single variable polynomial has at least one real root?
Integer coefficients don't make any difference. If the coefficients are real, then for odd degree, there has to be (as trambolin notes) at least one real root. For quadratic, the discriminant has to be non-negative. For higher even degree it is more complicated. Try looking at Sturm sequences.

Of course if the degree is odd or is 2 then it's trivial. I have to work out the general case, which "only requires elementary calculus, but is difficult."

1. What is an integer polynomial?

An integer polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of constants, variables, and operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication, where all the coefficients and exponents are integers.

2. What is the degree of an integer polynomial?

The degree of an integer polynomial is the highest exponent of its variable term. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 1, the degree is 2.

3. Can an integer polynomial have negative exponents?

No, an integer polynomial cannot have negative exponents. This is because all the coefficients and exponents in an integer polynomial must be integers, and negative exponents result in fractions or decimals.

4. How is an integer polynomial different from a regular polynomial?

An integer polynomial is a type of polynomial where all the coefficients and exponents are integers, while a regular polynomial can have coefficients and exponents that are any real numbers.

5. What are some applications of integer polynomials in science?

Integer polynomials are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to model and solve problems involving whole numbers. They are also used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data.