Integrable Functions Homework: Finding Non-Constant f & g

• Thread starter MatthewD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the author is looking for a non-constant function and is having trouble finding one that is integrable. He is also having trouble proving that a function is not integrable on a given interval. He has found a function that is integrable but has trouble proving that it is not singular. After some help from the reader, the author is able to find a function that is integrable and not singular.
MatthewD

Homework Statement

I need to find 2 functions on [0,1]: one that is integrable, one that isn't, such that their product is integrable.

I'd like to use functions that are non-constant, if possible

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using
g(x) := x-1
h(x) := 1/(x-1)

... But I'm having trouble proving h(x) is not integrable on [0,1]...

I used the fact that g was monotone to prove it is integrable and obviously gh is integrable because it's constant. Right now we're looking at Riemann integrals, but I don't know how to state the proof...

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Irrelevant since the integral is improper and thus not integrable in the Riemann sense.

My favorite example of a non-Riemann integrable function is the characteristic function of the rationals over [0,1] which is simply the function whose value is 1 at rational numbers in [0,1] and 0 at irrational numbers in [0,1]. Call this function g. Can you think of an integrable function f for which fg is integrable? (Hint: f is a special case of what is typically the first or easiest example of a Riemann integrable function).

Last edited:
I thought that 1/(x-1) was unbounded, and therefore not integrable? Am I mistaken? I'm still trying to understand this whole chapter...

Would it work if I had

f(x): = 0

g(x): = 1, x is rational
g(x): = 0, x is irrational

Because then f is constant ->integrable
and fg=0 is constant -> integrable

Am I on the right track? I really wanted to use something non-constant to try to understnad the concept better, but would this at least work?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I made a silly oversight. You are right since the integral doesn't converge due to the singularity at x = 1, so we have something improper. So your case worked fine, I had just forgotten to consider improper integrals. But you're also correct in your follow-up of my example. I just chose an example that is in some sense simpler, even if the function is considered pathological.

Thank you so much---it worked out better for me because I had to prove to myself that the case worked, which helped me understand so much better.

Thank you!:smile:

FAQ: Integrable Functions Homework: Finding Non-Constant f & g

1. What is the definition of an integrable function?

An integrable function is a function that can be represented as the area under a curve in a given interval on a graph. In other words, it is a function that can be integrated or have a definite integral.

2. How do you find non-constant f and g in an integrable function?

To find non-constant f and g in an integrable function, you can start by expressing the function as a product of two functions, f(x) and g(x). Then, using algebraic techniques, you can manipulate the function to find the values of f and g that make the function integrable.

3. What is the purpose of finding non-constant f and g in an integrable function?

The purpose of finding non-constant f and g in an integrable function is to be able to integrate the function and find the area under the curve. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating work done, velocity, or displacement.

4. What are some common techniques used to find non-constant f and g in an integrable function?

Some common techniques used to find non-constant f and g in an integrable function include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the function algebraically to find the values of f and g that make the function integrable.

5. Are all functions integrable?

No, not all functions are integrable. Some functions, such as those with infinite discontinuities or vertical asymptotes, are not integrable. Additionally, some functions may not have a closed form expression for their integral, making them non-integrable.