Let function ƒ be Differentiable

• Thread starter sergey_le
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

Let function ƒ be Differentiable in the interval [0,1] so that 0≤f'(x)≤1 for all x in the interval [0,1].
Prove that there is a point x in [0,1] so that f'(x)=x.

Relevant Equations:

Intermediate value theorem
What I've tried is:
I have defined a function g(x)=f(x)-x^2/2. g Differentiable in the interval [0,1] As a difference of function in the interval.
so -x≤g'(x)≤1-x for all x∈[0,1] than -1≤g'(x)≤0 or 0≤g'(x)≤1 .
Then use the Intermediate value theorem .
The problem is I am not given that f' is continuous

Likes vanhees71 and Math_QED

Answers and Replies

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Interesting problem. First, it looks like you need continuity to apply the intermediate value theorem, but in fact you don't. Here you know that ##f## is differentiable, so ##f'## is still 'sufficiently nice', in the following sense:

##f'## may be discontinuous, but it still satisfies the intermediate value theorem. This is known as Darboux's theorem. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darboux's_theorem_(analysis) for two short elementary proofs.

Last edited:
Likes sergey_le and vanhees71
Interesting problem. First, it looks like you need continuity to apply the intermediate value theorem, but in fact you don't. Here you know that ##f## is differentiable, so ##f'## is still 'sufficiently nice', in the following sense:

##f'## may be discontinuous, but it still satisfies the intermediate value theorem. This is known as Darboux's theorem. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darboux's_theorem_(analysis) for two short elementary proofs.
Thanks