Integral, from 0 to 1, of dx/root(1-x^2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter leo255
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
leo255
Messages
57
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


[/B]
Integral, from 0 to 1, of dx/root(1-x^2)

Homework Equations


[/B]
d/dx of arcsin = 1/root(1-x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



Since d/dx of arcsin = 1/root(1-x^2), we have that the integral, from 0 to 1, of dx/root(1-x^2) equals to arcsin, from 0 to 1.

arcsin(1) - arcsin(0) = arcsin(1). I know I'm missing something here. What did I do wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
leo255 said:
Since d/dx of arcsin = 1/root(1-x^2), we have that the integral, from 0 to 1, of dx/root(1-x^2) equals to arcsin, from 0 to 1.

arcsin(1) - arcsin(0) = arcsin(1). I know I'm missing something here. What did I do wrong?

What is arcsin(1)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: leo255
arcsin(1) is pi/2. I asked someone in my class about this, and he said that I should be taking the limit, as b (or whatever other variable) approaches 1, from the left-hand side. Can you guys confirm if this is something that should be done for this problem?
 
leo255 said:
arcsin(1) is pi/2. I asked someone in my class about this, and he said that I should be taking the limit, as b (or whatever other variable) approaches 1, from the left-hand side. Can you guys confirm if this is something that should be done for this problem?
Yes, this should be done. The integrand is undefined at x = 1, so the Fund. Thm. of Calculus doesn't apply. You can get around this by evaluating this limit:
$$\lim_{b \to 1^-}\int_0^b \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: leo255