1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration only giving one answer?

1. Jul 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##a>0## and ##b≠0##, solve the following stating the maximal domain for which the solution is valid:
    ##\sqrt{a^2-x^2}\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}+b=0,\ y\left(0\right)=0##

2. Relevant equations

##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}dx=\arcsin \left(\frac{x}{a}\right)+c,\ a>0##

##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{-1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}dx=\arccos \left(\frac{x}{a}\right)+c,\ a>0##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no problems doing the actual integration and arrive at the correct solution of ##y=-b\arcsin \left(\frac{x}{a}\right),\ \left|x\right|<a\ ##. However, I also get ##y=b\arccos \left(\frac{x}{a}\right)-b,\ \left|x\right|<a\ ## as being a valid solution, whereas both the answers and my calculator don't include this solution. Is there a reason as to why this second answer would be omitted?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

##\arcsin(x) + \arccos(x) = \frac \pi 2##, meaning the two functions differ by a constant, ##\pi/2##. Your two answers are different only by a constant.

4. Jul 17, 2017 #3

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you integrate, you must find the constant (c) using the initial conditions. With the correct constants, either arcos or arcsin should work. It looks like you need a constant added

5. Jul 17, 2017 #4
    Ah thank you, I wasn't aware of that relationship. So basically it's similar to saying that ##\frac{d}{dx}\left(\tan \left(x\right)\right)=\sec ^2\left(x\right)## or ##\frac{d}{dx}\left(\tan \left(x\right)\right)=\tan ^2\left(x\right)\ +1##.

6. Jul 17, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about a third solution? Maple gets
    $$y = -b \arctan \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}} \right) $$

7. Jul 18, 2017 #6

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This could work, too. If you think of a right triangle, then arcsin, arccos, and arctan are all returning angles, given a ratio of two sides of the triangle.
    So if x represents the adjacent, and a represents the hypotenuse, then arccos(x/a) will return the angle theta, for cos(theta) = x/a
    Similarly, x could represent the opposite angle of a triangle, when using arcsin.
    So for arctan, you need the opposite/adjacent. Since hypotenuse2 = adjacent2 + opposite2, try working out to see how you could get the ratio for a tangent, using x representing the opposite, and a representing the hypotenuse.

8. Jul 18, 2017 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, of course, it is completely elementary. However, I hoped the OP could puzzle it out.

9. Jul 18, 2017 #8

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may find this video about trig integration, interesting. It may shed some light for you.

10. Jul 18, 2017 #9

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whoops, I didn't look closely. I thought the original person had posted that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted