Evaluate Int: Gaussian Wavepacket & Fourier Transform

• Thread starter thegaussian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating an integral involving a Gaussian wavepacket and a cosine function. The approach involves resolving the cosine into exponentials, completing the square, and doing a contour shift. It is also mentioned that one can simply treat the imaginary unit as a parameter to simplify the process.
thegaussian
I'm doing a Fourier transform of a gaussian wavepacket, so I can get the momentum representation of the wave... To progress I need to evaluate the following integral:

Int{exp[-(sigma^2.x^2 + bx)/4k].cos[(tx^2 - cx)/8k]}dx

with sigma, b,k,t and c all being constants, and the limits being ±infinity.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
resolve cos into exponentials and complete the square. Do a contour shift (or just pretend i is just a parameter)

tim_lou said:
resolve cos into exponentials and complete the square. Do a contour shift (or just pretend i is just a parameter)

what does that mean?

ice109 said:
what does that mean?

well, I believe that if you work out the integral, you'll get something like
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(a+ib)(x-(c+id))^2} dx =\int_C e^{-(a+ib)z^2} dz[/tex]

where the contour for z is not the real line but shifted by some c+id. One may then argue that since there are no poles anywhere, we can change the contour back to the real line and get a standard gaussian integral. Of course, usually people (at least for me) just pretend i is a real parameter and crank the integral through.

1. What is a Gaussian wavepacket?

A Gaussian wavepacket is a type of wavefunction that describes a quantum particle's probability distribution in space and time. It has a Gaussian shape, where the peak of the wavepacket represents the most probable location of the particle and the width of the Gaussian represents its uncertainty.

2. How do you evaluate the integral of a Gaussian wavepacket?

To evaluate the integral of a Gaussian wavepacket, you can use the Gaussian integral formula, which is given by ∫ e^(-ax^2) dx = √(π/a). This formula can be applied to both one-dimensional and multi-dimensional Gaussian wavepackets.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform in relation to Gaussian wavepackets?

The Fourier transform is an important mathematical tool that allows us to decompose a function into its frequency components. In the context of Gaussian wavepackets, the Fourier transform helps us understand how the wavepacket's spatial distribution corresponds to its momentum distribution.

4. How does the width of a Gaussian wavepacket affect its Fourier transform?

The width of a Gaussian wavepacket is inversely proportional to the width of its Fourier transform. This means that a narrower Gaussian wavepacket will have a wider Fourier transform, and vice versa. This is known as the uncertainty principle, where a particle's position and momentum cannot be precisely known simultaneously.

5. Can the Fourier transform of a Gaussian wavepacket be calculated analytically?

Yes, the Fourier transform of a Gaussian wavepacket can be calculated analytically using the Fourier transform formula. However, for more complex wavefunctions, the integral may not have a closed-form solution and may need to be evaluated numerically using techniques such as the fast Fourier transform algorithm.