Integral Notation of an exponential Brownian motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the unfamiliarity of equation (1.a) in Marc Yor's paper, which has the notation of $ds$ coming before the exponential part. The person asks for clarification on whether there is a difference compared to writing it the other way around. They also ask for references on this notation and how the scaling property applies to (1.a). The response confirms that the two notations mean the same thing and provides some book references where it is used.
gnob
Good day!

I am reading the paper of Marc Yor (www.jstor.org/stable/1427477). equation (1.a) seems unfamiliar to me since the $ds$ comes first before the exponential part;
$$
\int_0^t ds \exp(aB_s + bs).
$$
Can you please help me clarify if there is a difference with the above notation as compared to if I write it this way:
$$
\int_0^t \exp(aB_s + bs) ds.
$$
Please give me some reference (books) on this. thanks

Secondly, how does the scaling property applied to (1.a) to become
$$
\int_0^t ds \exp 2(B_s + vs).
$$
Thanks a lot for your response. I know that the Brownian scaling states that if $B_s$ is a standard Brownian motion, then $\sqrt{c}B_{cs}$ is also a standard Brownian motion.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
gnob said:
Good day!

I am reading the paper of Marc Yor (www.jstor.org/stable/1427477). equation (1.a) seems unfamiliar to me since the $ds$ comes first before the exponential part;
$$
\int_0^t ds \exp(aB_s + bs).
$$
Can you please help me clarify if there is a difference with the above notation as compared to if I write it this way:
$$
\int_0^t \exp(aB_s + bs) ds.
$$
Please give me some reference (books) on this. thanks

Hi gnob, :)

Yes they do mean the same thing. I have seen this notation used in quantum mechanics books such as,

1) Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. Sakurai

2) Quantum Physics by S. Gasiorowicz

3) Quantum Mechanics by C.C. Tannoudji

Also a brief description about the two notations can be found >>here<<.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

1. What is the integral notation of an exponential Brownian motion?

The integral notation of an exponential Brownian motion is written as ∫tT eαW(s) ds, where t is the starting time, T is the ending time, α is the drift coefficient, and W(s) is the Wiener process at time s.

2. What does the integral notation represent?

The integral notation of an exponential Brownian motion represents the expected value of the exponential function at any given time t, taking into account the random fluctuations of the Wiener process.

3. How is the integral notation related to the exponential Brownian motion equation?

The integral notation is a mathematical representation of the exponential Brownian motion equation, which describes the stochastic process of a particle or stock price moving randomly with a drift coefficient and a diffusion coefficient.

4. Can the integral notation be used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in an exponential Brownian motion?

Yes, the integral notation can be used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in an exponential Brownian motion by using the properties of the Wiener process and applying it to the integral equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral notation for an exponential Brownian motion?

One limitation is that the integral notation assumes a continuous-time process, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, the integral notation may not be suitable for modeling complex systems with multiple factors influencing the process.