Integral of a sqrt of polynomial

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ldbaseball16
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(1/sqrt(x^2+16), x, 0, 4);


Homework Equations


x=4tan(theta)
dx=4sec^2(theta)d(theta)


The Attempt at a Solution


(1/sqrt(16+(4tan(theta))^2)(4sec^2theta) I am confused can i get some help??
 
Physics news on Phys.org


ldbaseball16 said:

Homework Statement


(1/sqrt(x^2+16), x, 0, 4);


Homework Equations


x=4tan(theta)
dx=4sec^2(theta)d(theta)


The Attempt at a Solution


(1/sqrt(16+(4tan(theta))^2)(4sec^2theta) I am confused can i get some help??

If you remember that

[tex]1 + tan^2 \theta = sec^2 \theta[/tex]

then you'll find that the integrand simplifies quite nicely. Don't forget to change your integration limits appropriately.
 


ok, i got ln(4/sqrt(x^2 +16) + (x/4)? is this right?
 


hmmm... if this is a definite you don't need to try and convert back to x's, just change the integration limits when you make the variable change
 


ldbaseball16 said:
ok, i got ln(4/sqrt(x^2 +16) + (x/4)? is this right?

I think that's pretty close. As the previous post mentions, I didn't change back to the x's but worked with theta limits of 0 to pi/4.