Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of Maxwell-Boltzmann

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1
    I'm reading http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/physics.ndsu.edu/Wagner/LBbook.pdf (pg 12, 3.2.2) about the lattice boltzmann method. I'm speaking of his specfic form of the Maxwell-Boltzman and his claim that the integral of equilibrium distribution is equal to n

[tex]\int f^0 = n[/tex]

But when I use gaussian integrals I don't get n but rather [tex]\frac{n}{2\pi\theta}[/tex]. What am I missing?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2010 #2
    From a quick glance, your answer seems correct; if the integral was to be just n, then the leading denominator would have to be

\sqrt{2 \pi \theta}
  4. Jul 7, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply. When I look at the wikipedia version of the maxwell-boltzman, I see they do a triple integral over basically the same equation, there I get N. From how the author wrote the equation, there was no indication that he was speaking of velocity and not speed like bold face or overarrows. Plus it doesn't help that I'm not familiar with statistical mechanics either).
  5. Jul 7, 2010 #4
    That makes sense; poor form that they didn't make that more clear--either they should have had all 3 serifs, or vectors over their velocities or something.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook