Integral of Maxwell-Boltzmann

• Thread starter Monty Hall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the lattice Boltzmann method and its specific form of the Maxwell-Boltzmann equilibrium distribution, which states that the integral of the distribution is equal to n. However, when using Gaussian integrals, the result is \frac{n}{2\pi\theta} instead of n. The possible reasons for this discrepancy include the use of velocity instead of speed in the equation and the lack of clarity in the notation used.
Monty Hall
I'm reading http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/physics.ndsu.edu/Wagner/LBbook.pdf (pg 12, 3.2.2) about the lattice Boltzmann method. I'm speaking of his specfic form of the Maxwell-Boltzman and his claim that the integral of equilibrium distribution is equal to n

[tex]\int f^0 = n[/tex]

[tex]f^0(v)=\frac{n}{(2\pi\theta)^{3/2}}e^{-(v-u)^2/2\theta}[/tex]

But when I use gaussian integrals I don't get n but rather [tex]\frac{n}{2\pi\theta}[/tex]. What am I missing?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From a quick glance, your answer seems correct; if the integral was to be just n, then the leading denominator would have to be

[tex]
\sqrt{2 \pi \theta}
[/tex]

Thanks for your reply. When I look at the wikipedia version of the maxwell-boltzman, I see they do a triple integral over basically the same equation, there I get N. From how the author wrote the equation, there was no indication that he was speaking of velocity and not speed like bold face or overarrows. Plus it doesn't help that I'm not familiar with statistical mechanics either).

That makes sense; poor form that they didn't make that more clear--either they should have had all 3 serifs, or vectors over their velocities or something.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the integral of Maxwell-Boltzmann and its relationship to the lattice Boltzmann method. It is important to note that the integral of the equilibrium distribution is indeed equal to n, as stated in your quote. However, it is also important to consider the assumptions and conditions that are necessary for this to hold true.

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speed of particles in a gas at equilibrium. It assumes that the particles are non-interacting and that the system is in thermal equilibrium. In the context of the lattice Boltzmann method, this distribution is used to model the behavior of fluid particles in a lattice grid.

The integral of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, as shown in your quote, is indeed equal to n. However, this is only true if the integral is taken over the entire velocity space, which is from -∞ to +∞. When using Gaussian integrals, it is important to note that the integral is taken from 0 to +∞. This is because the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is only valid for positive velocities.

So, when you use Gaussian integrals to calculate the integral of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, you are only considering a portion of the velocity space and not the entire distribution. This is why you are getting \frac{n}{2\pi\theta} instead of n.

In summary, the integral of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is equal to n, but this is only true if the integral is taken over the entire velocity space. When using Gaussian integrals, it is important to consider the limits of integration and the assumptions of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

Related to Integral of Maxwell-Boltzmann

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speed and energy of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who independently developed the distribution in the 19th century.

2. What is the integral of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The integral of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is the total area under the curve, which represents the total probability of all possible particle speeds and energies in a gas. It is used to calculate the average energy and speed of particles in a gas at a given temperature.

3. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a key concept in the kinetic theory of gases, which explains the behavior of gases in terms of the motion and collisions of individual particles. The distribution shows the relationship between the temperature of a gas and the average speed and energy of its particles.

4. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is affected by temperature, the mass of the particles, and the type of gas. Higher temperatures result in a broader distribution with more particles at higher speeds, while lighter particles and gases with stronger intermolecular forces result in a narrower distribution with more particles at lower speeds.

5. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution used in practical applications?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is used in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, to understand and predict the behavior of gases at different temperatures. It is also used in the design and optimization of devices such as engines, turbines, and refrigerators, where the speed and energy of gas particles play a critical role.