1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of sinhx.lncosh^2(x).dx

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1

sharks

Gold Member

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integral of sinhx.lncosh^2(x).dx

The attempt at a solution
    I used integration by parts.
    Let U = lncoshx^2(x)
    Let dV = sinhx

So, dU =sech^2(x)/(2coshx.sinhx) = 1/(2cosh^3(x).sinhx) [i hope this line is correct?]
    And, V = coshx

When using the formula for integration by parts, the integral of V.dU proves to be difficult. I think i should use substitution to simply it somehow, but not sure how.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Substitute [itex] \cosh x = t [/itex].

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3

sharks

Gold Member

So, i used the substitution suggested above into V.dU, and i get:

Integral of V.dU = Integral of 1/[2(t^4 - t^2)] w.r.t.t

I could use this equivalent (re-arranged) expression: Integral of 1/[2(t^4 - t^2)] w.r.t.t = Integral of 1/[(2t^2).(t^2 - 1)] w.r.t.t

But then i would probably have to integrate this by parts again. I guess i'm stuck once more.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That line is incorrect.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\ln(\cosh^2(x))= \text{sech}^2(x)\cdot(2\cosh(x)\sinh(x))[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle =2\,\text{sech}(x) \sinh(x)[/itex]​
    Of course that could have been arrived at more easily by noticing that [itex]\displaystyle \ln(\cosh^2(x))=2\ln(\cosh(x))\,.[/itex]
    Your integration by pars should work fine, except,
    dv should be: [itex]\displaystyle dv=\sinh(x)\,dx\,.[/itex]

This should result in [itex]\displaystyle\int v\,du=2\int\sinh(x)\,dx\,.[/itex]

6. Dec 9, 2011 #5

sharks

Gold Member

I finally got it. Thanks SammyS for the hint about 2ln(cosh x). I used that and it all got much simpler, like you said.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean without part integration at the beginning. First substitute, then the new integral should be ~ int ln t dt. Now you can use part integration to compute the antiderivative of the logarithm (which is also tabluated).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook