1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the total charge embodied in a solid with charge density that decreases linearly with height from a value of λ at the bottom to 0 at the top.
    Solve for a rectangular prism and a sphere.

2. Relevant equations

∫∫∫ρdxdydz
    ∫∫∫pr^2sinθdrdθd∅

3. The attempt at a solution

For a rectangular prism, I integrated from 0 to x,y for dx,dy and lambda to 0 for dz. I ended up with Q=x*y*ρ*some function of λ. However, something seems off about this approach, because the charge at any x and y varies with height.

I think if I can get the logic behind the prism, I'll be able to understand the sphere, but any other advice would be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Anyone have an idea?

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The charge enclosed in an element of height dx is given by [itex]\rho(x)A(x)dx[/itex] where [itex]\rho(x)[/itex] is a function that expresses the volume-charge density at a given height x from the base. A(x) denotes the area function, i.e. the cross-sectional area of a slice taken at height x from the base. x varies from 0 to h, the height of the figure.

Work out an expression for [itex]\rho(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], h and x first (easy, since it's a linear relationship) - this applies to both figures. Then it's just a matter of evaluating the integral in each case between the bounds of 0 and h. For the rectangular prism (which is a cuboid), A(x) is a constant. For the sphere, A(x) follows the area of a disc. (For the sphere, h = 2R, where R is the radius).

After you get the final expression, you should be able to rearrange to express it in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the volume V alone. When you do this, you will discover an interesting insight.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook