Integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density

In summary, a rectangular prism has a charge that varies with height, while a sphere has a charge that is constant.
Aesteus

Homework Statement

Calculate the total charge embodied in a solid with charge density that decreases linearly with height from a value of λ at the bottom to 0 at the top.
Solve for a rectangular prism and a sphere.

Homework Equations

∫∫∫ρdxdydz
∫∫∫pr^2sinθdrdθd∅

The Attempt at a Solution

For a rectangular prism, I integrated from 0 to x,y for dx,dy and lambda to 0 for dz. I ended up with Q=x*y*ρ*some function of λ. However, something seems off about this approach, because the charge at any x and y varies with height.

I think if I can get the logic behind the prism, I'll be able to understand the sphere, but any other advice would be helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have an idea?

The charge enclosed in an element of height dx is given by [itex]\rho(x)A(x)dx[/itex] where [itex]\rho(x)[/itex] is a function that expresses the volume-charge density at a given height x from the base. A(x) denotes the area function, i.e. the cross-sectional area of a slice taken at height x from the base. x varies from 0 to h, the height of the figure.

Work out an expression for [itex]\rho(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], h and x first (easy, since it's a linear relationship) - this applies to both figures. Then it's just a matter of evaluating the integral in each case between the bounds of 0 and h. For the rectangular prism (which is a cuboid), A(x) is a constant. For the sphere, A(x) follows the area of a disc. (For the sphere, h = 2R, where R is the radius).

After you get the final expression, you should be able to rearrange to express it in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the volume V alone. When you do this, you will discover an interesting insight.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density?"

The integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density is a mathematical concept used in physics to calculate the total electric charge within a three-dimensional object that has a charge density that decreases linearly from its center to its edges.

2. What is the significance of studying the integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density?

Studying the integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density allows scientists to better understand the distribution of electric charge within three-dimensional objects. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as electromagnetism and electrostatics, and can also be applied in practical applications such as designing electronic devices.

3. How is the integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density calculated?

The integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density is calculated by integrating the charge density function over the volume of the solid. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the method of disks or the method of shells.

4. What are some real-life examples of objects with linearly decreasing charge density?

One example of an object with linearly decreasing charge density is a parallel plate capacitor, where the charge density decreases linearly from the center of the plates to the edges. Another example is a cone-shaped object, where the charge density decreases linearly from the tip of the cone to its base.

5. Can the concept of the integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density be applied to objects with other types of charge density?

Yes, the concept of the integral of solids with linearly decreasing charge density can be extended to objects with other types of charge density, such as exponentially decreasing or constant charge density. In these cases, the mathematical techniques used to calculate the integral may differ, but the underlying principles remain the same.