Integral velocity/time problem

• Thread starter phillyolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Remember that the velocities are in km/hr, so the distances will be in km. Great job!In summary, the conversation was about estimating the distance traveled by a car accelerating from rest to a speed of 120 km/h over a period of 30 seconds using a velocity graph. The person provided their attempt at a solution and asked for feedback. The expert pointed out mistakes and provided corrections, ultimately leading to the person completing the assignment correctly. The expert also reminded the person to include distance units in their estimates.
phillyolly
I have completed a problem and would like you to check it and see if I got it right.

Homework Statement

The velocity graph of a car accelerating from rest to a speed of 120 km/h over a period of 30 seconds is shown. Estimate the distance traveled during this period

Here is the graph, where a=40 http://www.webassign.net/scalcet/5-1-016alt.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

You will see a print screen of my work. Did I do correctly that I put together a lower and upper estimates and divided the sum by 2 in order to estimate the distance traveled? I believe I made a mistake.

Attachments

• 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,132
Physics news on Phys.org
phillyolly said:
I have completed a problem and would like you to check it and see if I got it right.

Homework Statement

The velocity graph of a car accelerating from rest to a speed of 120 km/h over a period of 30 seconds is shown. Estimate the distance traveled during this period

Here is the graph, where a=40 http://www.webassign.net/scalcet/5-1-016alt.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

You will see a print screen of my work. Did I do correctly that I put together a lower and upper estimates and divided the sum by 2 in order to estimate the distance traveled? I believe I made a mistake.

Your endpoints are all wrong. You have 0, .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0. In the graph they are 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds. In both estimates you should have [itex]\Delta t[/itex], not [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. x should not appear in your work.

Since the velocities are in km/hr, your time units should be in hours, not seconds. 5 seconds = 5 sec X 1 min/60 sec X 1 hr/60 min = 1/720 hr. This is your [itex]\Delta t[/itex]. The distance will be in km.

Thank you a lot for the notes.

Here is my revised version. Please can you check this one?
I have two solutions: the first one is for midpoints.
The second one is for lower and upper estimates.

Thanks

Attachments

• Problem-description.jpg
    Problem-description.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 2,459
  • Midpoint-solution.jpg
    Midpoint-solution.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,234
  • Lower-upper-estim-solution.jpg
    Lower-upper-estim-solution.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,198
You still have quite a few mistakes. In the 2nd image, your summation should go from i = 1 to i = 6, not 2/45. In the second and third images, there are numerous errors in the converted times. From the graph, the times are 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 seconds.
5 sec = 1/720 hr
10 sec = 2/720 hr
15 sec = 3/720 hr
30 sec = 6/720 hr
Several of your reduced fractions are wrong. For example, 6/720 [itex]\neq[/itex] 1/10 hr.

OK, based on your suggestions, I have completed the assignment. I hope that this time I did it correctly. Please take a look.

Attachments

• Midpoint-solution.jpg
    Midpoint-solution.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,897
  • Lower-upper-estim-solution.jpg
    Lower-upper-estim-solution.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,294
The three estimates look good. The only thing I would add is the distance units.

1. What is an integral velocity/time problem?

An integral velocity/time problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the displacement of an object over a given time interval, using the integral of the object's velocity function. It is commonly used to solve problems involving objects with changing velocities, such as objects moving with acceleration or deceleration.

2. How do you solve an integral velocity/time problem?

To solve an integral velocity/time problem, you first need to determine the velocity function of the object. This can be done by finding the derivative of the object's position function. Then, you can use the integral formula to calculate the displacement over the given time interval. Finally, you can plug in the values and solve for the displacement.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. In an integral velocity/time problem, we are usually concerned with calculating the object's average velocity over a given time interval.

4. Can an object have a constant acceleration and a changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration and a changing velocity. This can occur when the object is moving in a circular path or when it has a changing direction of motion. In these cases, the object's acceleration is constant, but its velocity is changing due to the change in direction.

5. How is an integral velocity/time problem related to real-life situations?

An integral velocity/time problem can be used to model and solve real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car with changing speeds or determining the displacement of a projectile with varying velocities. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is applicable in many real-world scenarios.