Integral with cosine and exponential - cos (2t) x e^2t

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach an integral problem involving cos (2t) x e^2t. Suggestions include using u-substitution, integrating by parts, and writing cos (2t) as exponentials using Euler's formula. An example is given to demonstrate how to use integration by parts, and the final solution is shown to be -e ^ x cos x + e ^ x sin x + C.
Chadlee88

Homework Statement

can som1 please give me an idea where to start with this integral.

integral of: cos (2t) x e^2t

thanx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
well first start with u sub to make it a tad easier

yeh i did that, but i was still stuck, i made u= 2t so i had to find the integral of 1/2(cos (u)xe^u.

Integrate by parts twice. If I=integral(cos(u)*exp(u)) then you will end up with an expression like I=(something)-I. Then just solve for I.

another alternative is to write cos(2t) as exponentials using Eulers forlmulas.

malawi_glenn said:
another alternative is to write cos(2t) as exponentials using Eulers forlmulas.

and how would you do that?

Chadlee88 said:
can som1 please give me an idea where to start with this integral.

integral of: cos (2t) x e^2t

Whoops, I don't think any Pre-Calculus students do learn Integration.

This is a good candidate for Integrate By Parts. I'll give you an example similar to your problem. You can read the example, and see if do the problem on your own.

The formula is:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]

Example:
[tex]I = \int e ^ x \sin x dx[/tex]
Let u = ex, dv = sin x dx
~~> du = exdx, and v = -cos x, so your integral will become:
[tex]I = \int e ^ x \sin x dx = - e ^ x \cos x + \int e ^ x \cos x dx[/tex]

You should note that, if you let u = ex previously, then, this time, you'll also let u = ex, or you'll end up getting something like: I - I = C (where C is a constant)

Let u = ex, and dv = cos x dx
~~~> du = u = ex dx, and v = sin(x)
We have:

[tex]I = - e ^ x \cos x + \int e ^ x \cos x dx + C' = -e ^ x \cos x + \left( e ^ x \sin x - \int e ^ x \ sin x dx \right) + C' = -e ^ x \cos x + e ^ x \sin x - I + C'[/tex]

Isolate I to one sides yields:
[tex]2I = -e ^ x \cos x + e ^ x \sin x + C'[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow I = \frac{1}{2} \left( -e ^ x \cos x + e ^ x \sin x \right) + C[/tex] (where C, and C' are the Constants of Integrations.)

Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of using cosine and exponential functions in an integral?

The purpose of using cosine and exponential functions in an integral is to model real-life situations where these functions occur naturally. For example, in physics and engineering, cosine and exponential functions are commonly used to describe oscillatory and growth/decay phenomena, respectively. By using these functions in an integral, we can calculate the area under the curve and find important information about the system being modeled.

2. How do you solve an integral with cosine and exponential functions?

To solve an integral with cosine and exponential functions, we can use integration by parts or substitution. In this case, we can use integration by parts to solve the integral of cos(2t) x e^2t. We can let u = cos(2t) and dv = e^2t dt, and then use the formula for integration by parts to find the solution.

3. Can you provide an example of solving an integral with cosine and exponential functions?

Yes, for the integral of cos(2t) x e^2t, we can let u = cos(2t) and dv = e^2t dt. Then, using the formula for integration by parts, we have:

∫ cos(2t) x e^2t dt = cos(2t) x (1/2) e^2t - ∫ (-sin(2t)) x (1/2) e^2t dt

= (1/2) cos(2t) x e^2t + (1/2) ∫ sin(2t) x e^2t dt

We can continue applying integration by parts or use a trigonometric identity to simplify the integral further.

4. What is the significance of the constants in the integral, such as 2 in cos(2t) and e^2t?

The constants in the integral, such as 2 in cos(2t) and e^2t, determine the frequency and growth/decay rate of the functions. In this case, the 2 in cos(2t) represents the frequency of the oscillations and the 2 in e^2t represents the growth rate of the exponential function.

5. How can we apply the solution of an integral with cosine and exponential functions in real-life situations?

The solution of an integral with cosine and exponential functions can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, the solution can be used to calculate the total displacement or velocity of an object undergoing oscillatory motion. In economics, it can be used to model and predict growth or decay of a population or market.