Integrating Complex Integrals: Exploring the Mystery of a "-1

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between integrating an exponential function with a variable exponent and a power function with a variable base. The speaker suggests using the method of integration by parts for the first integral, but points out that the incorrect method may work for a linear inner function.
Yankel
Hello,

I have this integral here:

\[\int e^{\sqrt{x}}dx\]

and I wanted to ask, why can't I treat it like I would treat this integral:

\[\int (3x+5)^{5}dx\]

In which I would integrate as if g(x)=3x+5 is a normal x, and then divide by the inner derivative ? I tried it with the upper integral, and it doesn't work, the solution includes another "-1" which I don't understand where comes from...

My incorrect answer would be

\[2\cdot \sqrt{x}\cdot e^{\sqrt{x}}\]why isn't it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first integral is of an exponential function (variable exponent), and the second is of a power function (variable base). They are completely different functions, behave differently, and have quite different antiderivatives. To do $\int e^{ \sqrt{x}} \, dx$, I would probably try by-parts first, and see what you get.

but

\[\int e^{3x}dx\]does work using the method I specified. How do I know when I can use and when I can't ?

(I mean the method of integrating and then dividing by the inner derivative).

I suppose your method would work any time the inner function of the exponential or power function is linear (or, more correctly, affine). That is, for any integral of the following types:
\begin{align*}
&\int e^{mx+b} \, dx, \quad \text{or} \\
&\int (mx+b)^n \, dx.
\end{align*}
But $\sqrt{x}$ is not an affine function of $x$.

Related to Integrating Complex Integrals: Exploring the Mystery of a "-1

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is a generalization of the real-valued definite integral in calculus.

2. How is a complex integral integrated?

To integrate a complex integral, one must break down the function into smaller parts and use the rules of integration, such as the power rule and substitution, to solve for the area under the curve. This process can become more complicated when dealing with complex numbers, as it involves finding the antiderivatives of complex functions.

3. What is the significance of the "-1" in the complex integral?

The "-1" in the complex integral represents the inverse operation of integration, known as differentiation. This is used to undo the integration process and find the original function from its derivative.

4. How do complex integrals relate to real-life applications?

Complex integrals have various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate quantities such as work, electric fields, and revenue. They also have applications in signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics.

5. What are some common challenges when integrating complex integrals?

Some common challenges when integrating complex integrals include dealing with complex numbers, finding the appropriate contour of integration, and determining the convergence of the integral. It is also important to carefully consider the choice of integration method and check for any singularities or branch cuts in the function.