1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate (cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p)))dp

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screenshot2012-08-06at50909AM.png
    3. The attempt at a solution
    It looks like they think the integration of (cos(p)/(sqrt(1-sin^2p)))dp = 1. I don't see how. I looked at my table of common integrals and I didn't see it. I know that cos^2 + sin^2 = 1 of course but I don't how that helps with the above.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No, they're not saying that. They're saying that:

[tex]\frac{\cos\phi}{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2{\phi}}} = 1[/tex]

(which is true as long as [itex]\phi[/itex] lies in the first or fourth quadrants, a condition which is presumably satisfied by the physical constraints of the problem).

That identity is the only one you need. Try solving [itex]\cos^2 \phi + \sin^2 \phi = 1[/itex] for [itex]\cos \phi[/itex]. Now what happens when you apply that result to the denominator of the integrand?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    It is very likely the integral above was preceeded by an integral of the kind
    [tex]\int_{D}\frac{dt}{1-t^2}[/tex]
    and a substitution t=sin(x) was performed. I am curious whether you are aware of the term "trigonometric substitution" in an integral? If you do, this should have been no problem. The only identity you need is the Pythagorean identity, which you stated wasn't enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook